• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

search for new scope (1 Viewer)

sfs

hello all,
I have celesctron c90 and I am realy enjoy of this when I am looking in range of 1-1.5 kilometers .
However, when I am looking in range of 30~~(I am not wrong 30) kilometers the picture is too small.....(I am talking in magnification about X 120 )
And I would like to know if there is a telescope / spotting scope that can give me wide picture for 20-30 kilimoters far away .
Thanks for helppers!! o:)o:)

hello all,
I have celesctron c90 and I am realy enjoy of this when I am looking in range of 1-1.5 kilometers .
However, when I am looking in range of 30~~(I am not wrong 30) kilometers the picture is too small.....(I am talking in magnification about X 120 )
And I would like to know if there is a telescope / spotting scope that can give me wide picture for 20-30 kilimoters far away .
Thanks for helppers!! o:)o:)

Is the eyepice wich gives wider views, not the scope

Is the eyepice wich gives wider views, not the scope
THANX about your great reply:)
I have two questions :
1) what is the difference from my c90 celestron to other expensive telescope??
2) which eyepiece for magnification of 120 in wide angle you recommend?

THANX about your great reply:)
I have two questions :
1) what is the difference from my c90 celestron to other expensive telescope??
2) which eyepiece for magnification of 120 in wide angle you recommend?

1. Well, your scope is Mak, they are good because shows none chromatic aberration, but compared to a ED refractor the contrast of the image is poor and more things. And you can go to low mags without wasting field of view. But if you want to change, just a 80ed scope, dont need the more expensive out there, is in my opinion, an improve.

2.I sugesst you to do a downgrade to 100x ... 20 mags at those leves doesnt take you anywhere, but the field of view and the bright of the image is gonna be better, and probably the comfort of use. If you do landscape views, and i suspect that you are, consider use a mirror diagonal instead the prism, the image is left to right reversed, but again is a huge improve, prism doesnt perform well up 70x and the mountains aint gonna move so you dont need to follow :king: its strange in the first time but you quickly be fine with that.

However

For 120x, a 10mm eyepiece, and look for a 82 afov degree. Anyway, a those mags the FOV is always narrowed in absolute terms, but a 82 in case youre usin a 60 or less is gonna be noticeable.

If you follow my advice, and go for 100x, use a 12mm, again 82 afov.

There are eyepieces with 100 afov, but they are real expensive.

Last edited:
1. Well, your scope is Mak, they are good because shows none chromatic aberration, but compared to a ED refractor the contrast of the image is poor and more things. And you can go to low mags without wasting field of view. But if you want to change, just a 80ed scope, dont need the more expensive out there, is in my opinion, an improve.

2.I sugesst you to do a downgrade to 100x ... 20 mags at those leves doesnt take you anywhere, but the field of view and the bright of the image is gonna be better, and probably the comfort of use. If you do landscape views, and i suspect that you are, consider use a mirror diagonal instead the prism, the image is left to right reversed, but again is a huge improve, prism doesnt perform well up 70x and the mountains aint gonna move so you dont need to follow :king: its strange in the first time but you quickly be fine with that.

However

For 120x, a 10mm eyepiece, and look for a 82 afov degree. Anyway, a those mags the FOV is always narrowed in absolute terms, but a 82 in case youre usin a 60 or less is gonna be noticeable.

If you follow my advice, and go for 100x, use a 12mm, again 82 afov.

There are eyepieces with 100 afov, but they are real expensive.

THANX about your fast replay ,

1) you say that I need to use mirror diagonal instead of prsim right?
but I think that I got mirror diagonal with the product:
" Comes with 32 mm Eyepiece, 45° Erect Image Diagonal and 8x21 Erect Image Finderscope"

2) I have 3 options for eyepices : a)http://store.meade.com/meade-series-5000-12mm-hd-60-6-element-eyepiece-1-25.html

b)http://store.meade.com/meade-series-5000-ultra-wide-angle-14mm-eyepiece-1-25.html

c) Its chinese buy his Features are realy GOOD !!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-25-Multi-coated-F16mm-Untra-Wide-Angle-80-Degree-Telescope-Eyepiece-/321112332700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac3c9599c

WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST?

THANX about your fast replay ,

1) you say that I need to use mirror diagonal instead of prsim right?
" Comes with 32 mm Eyepiece, 45° Erect Image Diagonal and 8x21 Erect Image Finderscope"

2) I have 3 options for eyepices : a)http://store.meade.com/meade-series-5000-12mm-hd-60-6-element-eyepiece-1-25.html

b)http://store.meade.com/meade-series-5000-ultra-wide-angle-14mm-eyepiece-1-25.html

c) Its chinese buy his Features are realy GOOD !!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-25-Multi-coated-F16mm-Untra-Wide-Angle-80-Degree-Telescope-Eyepiece-/321112332700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac3c9599c

WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST?

Well, if you see the image correctly oriented, you have a prism, if you it reversed is a mirror.

About the eyepices, no idea, i can tell of something i havent tried

Mate, eyepieces aside, what i can strongly recommend you, if you really like and enjoy the long range view, is to buy a celestron C5. If you are happy with the c90, with the C5 the improve is gonna be HUGE.

Its no expensive even buyed new (i dont think it could be hard find one on the second hand market) then sell your c90 to save some money if you want.

A C6 is more expensive, but that is a HELL of scope

Last edited:

As you want to do distance observation and if erected image is needed, I recommend you to purchase the Vixen erecting lens - see it at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test%20of%20image%20erectors. However you should be aware of 2 things:
1 - it has 1.5x increasing factor - so for same magnifications of 12-14mm ep you should choose a 18-21mm ep;
2 - there are cheap versions of the Vixen erector but these seem not to work well - I think Woodhornbirder mentioned in the past a bad experience with one of these.
One curiosity is that you can use 2" eps with the Vixen erector, that has 1.25" format: - I used a 2" 30mm UWA (>80º AFOV) with a 1.25 to T adapter + a T to 2" adapter and it worked fine, without vignetting. Interesting was that the TFOV was similar to the one of a 32mm plossel which means that the extra distance from the erector to the ep induced an increasing of much more than 1.5x - when using my Mark V Baader binoviewer it results in a 3x increase!!!

Mate, eyepieces aside, what i can strongly recommend you, if you really like and enjoy the long range view, is to buy a celestron C5. If you are happy with the c90, with the C5 the improve is gonna be HUGE.

Its no expensive even buyed new (i dont think it could be hard find one on the second hand market) then sell your c90 to save some money if you want.

A C6 is more expensive, but that is a HELL of scope

THank you about your replay,
what do you mean when you say that the c5/6 will be huge improve than the c90?? In which way it will be different? (like in the sharp?)

And DRodrigues I will watch your replay later :eat:

` you say that the c5/6 will be huge improve than the c90?? `

its pretty bloody obvious why! pull yer finger out and google those scopes.

both in focal length and build quality....

I cant believe heat shimmer isnt a limiting factor, what time of day you using this scope?

A C6/C8 would be more like it at that distance if conditions allow it. 12-18 miles. Orion 100ED

5 miles/8 kilometer

Attachments

• 4-28-10 100ED bird & st. moutain pictures 028 (Medium).jpg
    4-28-10 100ED bird & st. moutain pictures 028 (Medium).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 93
THank you about your replay,
what do you mean when you say that the c5/6 will be huge improve than the c90?? In which way it will be different? (like in the sharp?)

And DRodrigues I will watch your replay later :eat:

Just only for the exit pupil , but then is the coatings, the resolution, the focuser wich is very important at high mags, the light gathering ... to resume: all X3 (or 4)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back