• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The missing link of tele prime lens (1 Viewer)

baofeng

I found that <$1500 we have canon 300mm f4, 400mm f5.6.

I found that >$4000, we have canon 500 f4, 300mm f2.8.

However, there is no lens between $1500-$4000. Why?

Yes, I was surprised at this when I first started looking into long lenses. I guess the only two options which could fall between would be a 500 f5.6 or 400 f4 (non DO) but Canon do not make either. I guess if they did make either then sales of the existing lenses would suffer so it is debatable how much Canon would gain from it.

This is something that bothers me as well. I do agree that Canon would likely dip into their own sales by doing this. But it seems logical that a 3rd party (Sigma, Tamron) would pick up and jump on the missing sizes. I won't likely be able to afford a $5000 lens anytime soon. But a $2500 lens on the other hand, might be doable. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to come out with a fairly priced 500mm ƒ5.6. Even a 400mm ƒ4.5 would be nice... I'd sell my 150-500 in a second.

I think Roy has a nice range with a great f-stop...what is that 300 2.8 with a 2x TC?...

Too bad the price is so high though for that is not mid range as needed. Oh well.....

Tamron did indeed make a 400mm F4 a few years ago. I believe it was a good quality lens but it obviously didn't sell well enough to keep it in production

As a 100-400L owner I often wistfully think about what lens I should move on to next but they are all just so expensive I give up my daydreaming pretty quickly.

At under $3000 (in Japan at least, dunno about elsewhere) the Sigma 300 F2.8 plus 1.4 T/C is (I guess) a step up but the lack of IS is a killer for me. Maybe Sigma will introduce an OS version? Tamron have been developing their VC system and they make (or made?) a 300 F2.8, but in my limited experience of Tamron lenses and (unlike the higher end Sigmas?) the AF is nowhere near as good as Canon USM .

The Sigma 500 F4.5 is about $4000 over here but presumably at that maximum aperture it doesn't take T/Cs reliably.

As others say, a 400L IS F4 (non DO, I don't care if it is heavy) or 500L IS F5.6 would hit the spot nicely. Hell, why not a 600L F5.6?

I don't think there are enough folk to buy such middle of the range lenses as Canon know the pros/rich hobbyists will continue to buy the top end ones regardless of the price..............

You just got to look around when used 300mm f2.8 come up for sale, they might be little cheaper and affordable

No quite Thomas, the price at B&H in the states is $5000 and the cheapest price in the UK is more than £3000.

WOW! Either the price has gone up by some 40% since the last time I checked - or I'm having a serious senior's moment (which, given my tender age of 37, is a little worryingo:)). I seem to recall that it was only marginally more expensive than the EF 300/2.8L IS - which I have decided to save up for instead, and consequently haven't checked the Sigma since (so I won't get tempted).

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back