• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting development! (1 Viewer)

david2004

I have posted lots of (in fact, probably too many) threads about my Blue Tit nesting confusion. Well, this evening there has been an interesting development.

Apart from the House Sparrow Terrace on the garage, there is a 25mm hole nest box on the side of the garage (actually in the garden). This has been completely ignored. Until about 5 minutes ago! I saw a pair of Blueys go straight to it. One flew in immediately, and its mate stayed outside waiting for it.
After a while, it got bored and flew away. The bird in the nestbox hasn't - and is still in there (as far as I know) !!

Is it roosting? It went in immediately, as if it wasn't checking it out. Does this mean they are nesting, or about to? Isn't it too late for this?

Also, can more than one pair of Blue Tits nest fairly close together?? I have at least one pair in the House Sparrow terrace, another pair that is checking out sites about 30 metres away, one Blue Tit taking nesting material close by, and now this!

Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
"Apart from the House Sparrow Terrace on the garage, there is a 25mm hole nest box on the side of the garage (actually in the garden). This has been completely ignored. Until about 5 minutes ago! I saw a pair of Blueys go straight to it. One flew in immediately, and its mate stayed outside waiting for it.
After a while, it got bored and flew away. The bird in the nestbox hasn't - and is still in there (as far as I know) !!"

From my own experience, if they fly straight in it's usually to roost. If it's for nesting, they are very wary at the entrance hole, will hang on, repeatedly looking around, (predator watch) prior to entry. It seems that the second bird in your case, was not ready to roost, as it may have felt that there was another feeding possibility prior to roosting. Mine do that at times. Do you actually know if it did go in eventually, or did the other bird leave, and they picked another roost site.
I have 3 B/T nesting sites in my garden. One in one of 6 artifical House Martins nests, one in a hollowed out nest chamber in a tree trunk, which is concreted into the ground (one of two) and one in a house gable end bird box. Interestingly, the hollowed out tree trunk, has nest chambers back to back. The B/T's are in one and Wrens are in the other in/on the same trunk.
It sounds that you will have to spend some more time watching to see what transpires.

Regards

Malky

Thanks Malky. Great to know you have lots of Blue Tits nesting. Are they fairly close to each other? The second bird didn't come back, no. Would they nest? I am very confused. Have seen what seems to be checking out nesting sites - at this late stage. Could they still nest? And close to each other? I think there could be at least 4 pairs around.

The House Sparrow Terrace pair are also still confusing me. Saw one go into the right hand hole this morning, and another went in the middle hole this evening!! Don't know what's going on, and I don't think they could STILL be making the nest.

tp20uk said:
I don't think they could STILL be making the nest.

It's the likes of them in the human world that keep Homebase and all the other DIY places in business! Perhaps house-proud birds you got!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back