• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for Canon 800 f5.6 users (especially those who also have 500 f4) (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
In my frustration at being lensless after selling my 500 f4 the day the (latest) delay in the arrival of the new 500 f4 isii was announced, I stated looking around and read some very positive reviews of the Canon 800 f5.6 introduced in 2008 which, with my 7D would seem to be a real viable alternative. I put together the attached table which shows various (simple) parameters for each lens with a 7d. It does not cover "quality" although most reviews generally support the 800 vs. the 500 with a 1.4 extender. It is interesting how much each one costs per 100mm of "magnification" although it has teh full price for the new isii lenses rather than their longer term discount prices.

So my question is to those on here with the 800 lens as to the real world use/luggability/quality of the 800 vs. a 500 with a 1.4. I found I could manage the 500+1.4 in the field but the 800 weighs a pound more.

Nany thanks for reading and hope to get some insights as always from this forum.

Michael.

Attachments

• Camera Lens comparison.xlsx
    12.3 KB · Views: 97
I have no experience of either but I know Artie Morris uses his 800m pretty much all the time so might be worth visiting the BirdsAsArt site. Of course, they get better light than us and birds are often more confiding. If he gets the new DX camera though, he may give up the 800 for the new 500 because of the autofocus issue.
If I could carry either, I'd have one of them like a shot. The 400DO is as much as I can deal with!
Good Luck,
Rosie

I have no experience of either but I know Artie Morris uses his 800m pretty much all the time so might be worth visiting the BirdsAsArt site. Of course, they get better light than us and birds are often more confiding. If he gets the new DX camera though, he may give up the 800 for the new 500 because of the autofocus issue.
If I could carry either, I'd have one of them like a shot. The 400DO is as much as I can deal with!
Good Luck,
Rosie

Thanks Rosie. It was Art Morris's site which started me thinking. Good point about the 1Dx, but I must admit it is probably out of my price range. So many variables.....

Michael.

I think most bird/wildlife photographers will stick with the mk4 over the 1Dx for the f8 reason, plus the reduced crop factor that is not compensated for by enough extra pixels - ie actually means fewer pixels on the bird.
jonathan

I have both the 800 f/5.6 and the old 500 f/4 and I've used both (mostly on a 5D II) extensively. I found that the 500 is sharper. With a 1.4x III extender however the 500 is slightly softer than the 800. Given the price difference I would suggest the 500 + 1.4 III extender.

I don't about the new 500 but would expect it's even better than the old one and perhaps as good (if not better) than the 800 even with a extender.

Saying all this since I bought the 800 I have hardly used the 500 for the very simple reason that I need all the reach I can get! However if I have to do it all over again, keeping in mind the cost I might not have bought it.

I think one of the problems in the UK is Light or lack of it so at f5.6 with an 800mm there would be many times the extra stop with one of the f4s will still let you shoot at a shorter FL of cause .
Often when im out birding with my 500f4 +1.4tc F5.6 as the light falls the converter comes off and i get another 30mins or more of shooting time .
Rob.

Interesting reading the spreadsheet/costs per lb etc etc. seems in that dept that the 500mm is the best value at least? Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back