• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars (1 Viewer)

grouse

I'm looking for a new pair of binoculars and recently tried the RSPB HG & FG ranges which I thought were OK. Has anyone any idea who makes these for the RSPB or is there a better alternative for a similar price? I would like some Leica BNs but justifying just under £700 to the wife is proving somewhat difficult.

I understand that all RSPB branded binoculars are made by Viking. Although a UK based company, the optics are basically made in Japan to Viking's demands. From what I have seen of reviews, and a pair of budget Viking 8x40 bins that I have used, they offer excellent value. The RSPB 8x42 HG always receive top marks. The HG range less so. Not that I have used them though!

Why not try the Swift 8.5x42 ED Audubons. ~£300 or less, and said to be very good. But a bit bulky.

The Nikon 8x32 SE are supposed to offer first rate performance for ~£450 but they are not waterproof. I have not used them so maybe others can comment.

By the way, you could post in the binoculars forum. You might get more response there.

grouse said:
I'm looking for a new pair of binoculars and recently tried the RSPB HG & FG ranges which I thought were OK. Has anyone any idea who makes these for the RSPB or is there a better alternative for a similar price? I would like some Leica BNs but justifying just under £700 to the wife is proving somewhat difficult.

Try Opticron BGA PC/AGN @ about £ 399.00 ish

Excellent optics & good backup.

Both the RSPB models mentioned were on my shortlist, strangely(?)I preferred the cheaper model of the two. The HG's, although probably marginally sharper, felt incredibly heavy and had a definite yellow warm cast to them. In the end I didn't buy either but wouldn't mind the FG's as a back-up pair.
Leif has already mentioned a really good alternative (the 8x32 SE) which IMO are the best value for money bin's available (£429 from Ace Cameras is the last price I saw, you could try haggling?).
If you really want the Leica's I'd get them, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb (whatever that means!!).

Have you tried Infocus they fixed me up with a pair of 8 x 35 Opticron binoculars that close focus to 1.5 metres.

The salesman was very patient and they only cost me £299.99 and they are supperb quality

Thanks for all your replies. Like Steve J I went to InFocus (Martin Mere) and bought a pair of Opticrons. Verano 8x42 @ £299. As Steve says they are very helpful and let me try several different pairs of binoculars before buying.

May I suggest

www.betterviewdesired.com

for some valuable information on value? Yes, there's a decidedly American slant to it all, but the reviews are very objective.

I'll never be in the market for something as pricy (or wonderful) as Leicas or Swaros, but for a great lower-priced, high-value bino, I'll suggest the Swift Ultralite 8x42 (8x50s are also available). Lots of bang for the buck, and well-recommended for that price range by BWD. I love mine -- and they ARE very light -- never a bother when used with a shoulder harness (vs. a neck strap). Mine were purchased from

www.eagleoptics.com

for just under $170 US (on sale) and have more than repaid the price in quality.

I've always been told that one should spend as much as you can afford on good optics, then add another $50 to the pot (and I believe it). With optics, you DO get what you pay for.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back