• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Independence (1 Viewer)

(I hope that if Scotland ever becomes independent, it will follow an informed discussion with no intimidation or rhetoric and with the majority of the adult population voting for it because they wish to leave the union - not simply a desire to see change. Difficult to know what percentage of the 40% of the population actually wanted to bring the union to an end.)

All the best

I don't think that, for most, it was about bringing the "Union to an end"; it was about having more say in our affairs. In essence, Scotland I not England; it thinks differently.

Having lived in Bristol for many years and having spent a lot of time in the NW of England I would have to say that similar feelings are present in a lot of England; Bristol is not London; Cumbria feels forgotten by our masters in London. Does it all just come down to lack of recognition and a feeling that London is the only place that matters?

I don't think you need to regionalise it. Many parts of London feel as powerless and unrepresented as parts of Glasgow or Dundee. But absolute power corrupts absolutely which is one of the reasons why birders/naturalists commune with the non-human species on the planet because quite bluntly as a species we do so much damage to ourselves and the rest of the planet.

It would be good if this referendum were at least a brief catalyst for change but I fear if given the choice the majority of the population would want Sky subscriptions rather than higher taxes.

Here's hoping for change.

All the best

When you have Environment Ministers going against all the evidence and ploughing ahead with a cull of badgers, having an informed electorate who can hold them to account can only be a good thing. Certainly here in Scotland the referendum has got a lot more people thinking more about politics and I hope that this engagement extends to the rest of the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back