• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawk seen in mountains of colorado (1 Viewer)

BirdWatcherNE

Photos taken in mountains of Steamboat Springs Colorado around a month ago. I took pictures of a hawk i the same area on 2 different days...i am guessing its the same one but could be wrong. Any ideas what kind of hawk this is?

day 1:
DSC03035.jpg

DSC03164.jpg

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03166.jpg

day 2:
DSC03233.jpg

DSC03236.jpg

DSC03237.jpg

DSC03238.jpg

It's an accipiter - either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk, two species that are sometime difficult to tell apart. I will call it a Sharp-shinned based on the following field marks: head looks on the small side and neck short, and in the shots where we can see the tail well from the front, the tail feathers look about equal length.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back