• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Gift (1 Viewer)

Kammerdiner

My sister got into nature/birding this year when a family of green herons camped out in her backyard for the summer. Now she's volunteering for the parks department and seems headed toward life in the outdoors like me. I'd like to get her a good pair of binoculars in the $175-250 range and would welcome opinions about the following:

Vortex Diamondback (2009) 8x42, $220. Out of stock at EO for awhile. May not be available for Christmas.

Nikon Monarch 8x42, $250. Is this being discontinued/replaced?

Pentax DCF HRc 8x42, $270. This one is new to me. On the high end pricewise. Seems like it might be good though. On the other hand, if I go this high I might just jump for a Zen ED (the original).

Minox BL 8x42 BR, $250. This one's discontinued, but I bought my other sister one of these a few years back and I thought they were really nice. Does anyone know if the eyecups were updated to be multi-position instead of just in-out?

Personally, I lean toward lightweight mid-size bins so any recommendations along those lines would be welcome as well. There doesn't seem to be as many mid-size in my price range. The Minox, Pentax, and Nikon mentioned above are really quite light for full-size bins. Not so the Vortex.

In any case, I'm looking for lightweight, good eye relief to accomodate all users, and sharp bins, the kind of thing that will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (unlike me, I seriously doubt she'll ever obsess over bins. I just want the best that's currently available in this price range).

Thanks in advance for any input,
Mark

Hello Mark,

Have you considered the 8x42
Zen-Ray Summit? It is within budget, but I am not familiar with this binocular. I am sure it has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

I read that the 8x42 is sold out. However, the 10x42 is available, but I cannot use a 10x42 as a primary glass.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
My sister got into nature/birding this year when a family of green herons camped out in her backyard for the summer. Now she's volunteering for the parks department and seems headed toward life in the outdoors like me. I'd like to get her a good pair of binoculars in the $175-250 range and would welcome opinions about the following:

Vortex Diamondback (2009) 8x42, $220. Out of stock at EO for awhile. May not be available for Christmas.

Nikon Monarch 8x42, $250. Is this being discontinued/replaced?

Pentax DCF HRc 8x42, $270. This one is new to me. On the high end pricewise. Seems like it might be good though. On the other hand, if I go this high I might just jump for a Zen ED (the original).

Minox BL 8x42 BR, $250. This one's discontinued, but I bought my other sister one of these a few years back and I thought they were really nice. Does anyone know if the eyecups were updated to be multi-position instead of just in-out?

Personally, I lean toward lightweight mid-size bins so any recommendations along those lines would be welcome as well. There doesn't seem to be as many mid-size in my price range. The Minox, Pentax, and Nikon mentioned above are really quite light for full-size bins. Not so the Vortex.

In any case, I'm looking for lightweight, good eye relief to accomodate all users, and sharp bins, the kind of thing that will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (unlike me, I seriously doubt she'll ever obsess over bins. I just want the best that's currently available in this price range).

Thanks in advance for any input,
Mark

Of those you listed in that price range I would go with the Nikon Monarch 8x42. I feel it is the best bargain in that price range.

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like the Monarch is on the way out. EO is closing out the 10x42: "fluttering its way into the history of binocular excellence" they say. Hmm, never thought of a bin as "fluttering" before. Oh well. I wonder what the replacement will be like?

As for the eyecups on the Minox, I kinda doubt they are really multi-position, unless you consider "in" and "out" to be multi-position. When you have extra long ER (19mm +) it really helps to have intermediate positions.

I guess I better pull the trigger on this as time is running out.

Mark

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like the Monarch is on the way out. EO is closing out the 10x42: "fluttering its way into the history of binocular excellence" they say. Hmm, never thought of a bin as "fluttering" before. Oh well. I wonder what the replacement will be like?

As for the eyecups on the Minox, I kinda doubt they are really multi-position, unless you consider "in" and "out" to be multi-position. When you have extra long ER (19mm +) it really helps to have intermediate positions.

I guess I better pull the trigger on this as time is running out.

Mark

Demo 10x42 Monarch on EO for $185. Ready, aim, FIRE!

As far as the "replacement," it's already here:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon/nikon-monarch-x-10-5x45-binocular

Surely Nikon will introduce something at the old price point though. The Monarch was a mainstay, one of the most popular bins (THE most popular quality bin??) in history.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back