• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Headed Cardinal (1 Viewer)

Steven_B

South-East Missouri
Not sure if the name would be correct but saw this one braving the blizzard today to get some seed I put out. First Cardinal I have seen with these colorings.

Attachments

• White Headed Cardinal.jpg
    White Headed Cardinal.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 58
They have a black mask. Something is different about that little cardinal. Young one, I guess. The head maybe is a lighter color, right?

Is it maybe a young one? I see that it is missing the black that is normally on the head. Cute little bird photo!

It's not a young bird, but a leucistic adult female with some of the normally black and brownish feathering of the head and face having been replaced by white.

Last edited:
Leucistic

It's not a young bird, but a leucistic adult female with some of the normally black and brownish feathering of the head and face having been replaced by white.

Please tell me more. Leucistic - does it happen often to birds or just certain birds. Just wondering since I am so new at identifying birds. I am using the forum to learn all I can before I start "chasing" birds around this spring learning to identify what is around me. I have good wooded areas, pastures, and rivers. I expect to be able to identify a good variety of Missouri birds here at home if I can learn how.

Eagle

Please tell me more. Leucistic - does it happen often to birds or just certain birds. Just wondering since I am so new at identifying birds. I am using the forum to learn all I can before I start "chasing" birds around this spring learning to identify what is around me. I have good wooded areas, pastures, and rivers. I expect to be able to identify a good variety of Missouri birds here at home if I can learn how.

An Eagle flew right past our front yard the other day, but no way to photograph it. We see them fairly often at the Meramec River, but I may go to Washington, MO and see if I can get a photo at the Missouri River. I here there are more there and it isn't that far for me. I can't imagine getting close enough for a photo with my lack of photography skill. I am really at square one!
:eek!:

Please tell me more. Leucistic - does it happen often to birds or just certain birds. Just wondering since I am so new at identifying birds.

It's not real common, but it can crop up in just about any species of bird (or other animal for that matter). In wild birds (off the top of my head), I've seen it in Canada Geese, Ruddy Ducks, coots, crows, blackbirds, robins, juncos, Spotted Towhees, House Finches, House Sparrows. If you Google "leucistic birds", you'll turn up lots of photos and discussion.

If you describe it as partial albino everyone will know what you are talking about. To get more technical details about it go to the link Gretchen has supplied above.

Bob

Like fugl says, can show up in any sort of animal. For some reason, in my area, it is more common in House Sparrows - the ones at feeders often have just a few feathers in the wings, or on the head, statlingly white. On occasion, these birds get my heart rate up, because I think something really exciting has shown up! Then, a second later, I figure it out...

By the way, one way you can tell your (very interesting-looking!) is not an immature is the bill colour - only adults (of either sex) have bright red bills like that. The young ones (within their first year, anyway) have much duller bills.

Young or Adult beaks

Like fugl says, can show up in any sort of animal. For some reason, in my area, it is more common in House Sparrows - the ones at feeders often have just a few feathers in the wings, or on the head, statlingly white. On occasion, these birds get my heart rate up, because I think something really exciting has shown up! Then, a second later, I figure it out...

By the way, one way you can tell your (very interesting-looking!) is not an immature is the bill colour - only adults (of either sex) have bright red bills like that. The young ones (within their first year, anyway) have much duller bills.

Thank you, Peter. I will keep that in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back