• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sending emails using Ipod Touch when abroad (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I have been successfully sending and receiving emails using my Ipod Touch using WIFI.

I went abroad to Bulgaria where free WIFI is widely available. I was able to receive my emails and browse the web BUT couldnt send any emails.

Anyone know why and what I can do to correct this for net trip abroad?

Thanks

BB

I think it is an issue with the outgoing mail server settings. I had the same problem a while back but can't remember the exact solution. It only arises away from home because you are trying to send your mail from your address but someone else's server, and some ISPs don't like that (I think it's an anti spam measure). I think you might have to change the number of the server port in your outgoing mail server settings?

If you google the name of your mail provider and add the words 'iPod touch won't send' to the search you may well find a discussion somewhere on the correct settings to get around the problem. That's what I did.

Accessing your email via web mail in the safari browser can be a workaround if all else fails.

Murray
Thanks for your suggestion. I managed to speak to Customer Services of my ISP, Direct Save Telecom. They informed me that as the server was UK Based and their emails addresses arent generic or web based that I wouldnt be able to send emails whilst abroad; and that no change to any settings would help.

Ah well.

BB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back