• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brand New SLC 8x42 Really? (1 Viewer)

w.travis

United States
So, ever since getting the Leica UVHD+ 7x42 a few weeks ago (my 1st premium bin), I keep wondering what else could I like as much as it? And believe it or not, out of the 6 binoculars I own, none are an 8x42.... So I NEED one, right?

Since I much prefer a 3D like view vs. a flatter view I've been drawn to comments/reviews on the SLC 8x42. I believe they were discontinued in 2020 and no longer available unless used, or go with Kahles. At least that's what I thought...

It got me interested, so did a quick internet search to see if there were any good used deals. To my surprise I found one that said new and in stock... My assumption was it's an error being listed as "In Stock". However, I submitted my order anyway to see what would happen. My assumption was correct! I was redirected to a page that said they are "Out of Stock". End of story...

Or was it?

The next day I received a confirmation email for my order, and the following day a shipping confirmation. I went back to the website, and no longer could find the SLC 8x42 for sale. Did I get the last one? Did they ship something else? Did I get scammed?

2 days later I received a brand new SLC 8x42... Wow. Looks like after all I did NEED an 8x42... and I do like it as much as my UVHD+ 7x42

Nice find! Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it; I don't think a high-quality pair of binoculars with a lovely curved-field optical design will ever go out of style.

2 days later I received a brand new SLC 8x42... Wow. Looks like after all I did NEED an 8x42... and I do like it as much as my UVHD+ 7x42
what a great find! Congrats. Of course you will love having both of them, I have 7x42 and 8x42 and they would be the last two binos I would sell out of my set. I love having both those sizes.

Really enjoying these. Spent time this morning observing the Blue Grosbeak pair in my yard.

Something I've noticed the SLC is really good at- the color and contrast of field marks of birds in flight against back-lit sky (such as swallow species) are still very discernable. Also, nice depth of field, very easy eye placement, bright crisp view, great CA control.

I already had a problem with birding before the SLC and UVHD+... Now I'm really going to have to watch my priorities!20230721_192152.jpg

Really enjoying these. Spent time this morning observing the Blue Grosbeak pair in my yard.

Something I've noticed the SLC is really good at- the color and contrast of field marks of birds in flight against back-lit sky (such as swallow species) are still very discernable. Also, nice depth of field, very easy eye placement, bright crisp view, great CA control.

I already had a problem with birding before the SLC and UVHD+... Now I'm really going to have to watch my priorities!View attachment 1521993
How is the focuser on this one? I’ve always wanted one of these 8x42 SLC’s but I’ve had some issues with a few SLC’s with subpar focusers, rough spots in certain areas of travel as well as some stiction.

Paul

How is the focuser on this one? I’ve always wanted one of these 8x42 SLC’s but I’ve had some issues with a few SLC’s with subpar focusers, rough spots in certain areas of travel as well as some stiction.

Paul
I was aware of the potential subpar focuser before purchse. Since this is the only SLC I've used, I can't say if it's better or worse than other SLCs.

Turning to the right (focusing out) it feels just fine. Turning to the left (focusing in) it is a little tighter.

I've read some say it losens up over time, which would be nice, but definitely not a deal breaker. I don't notice any rough spots.

I was aware of the potential subpar focuser before purchse. Since this is the only SLC I've used, I can't say if it's better or worse than other SLCs.

Turning to the right (focusing out) it feels just fine. Turning to the left (focusing in) it is a little tighter.

I've read some say it losens up over time, which would be nice, but definitely not a deal breaker. I don't notice any rough spots.
Sounds excellent. It will loosen up a lot overtime and the slight difference in tightness in one direction is normal. Sounds like you got a really sweet SLC. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back