• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please giving suggestions (1 Viewer)

13F

Hi all
Can anyone tell me the difference in optics between 7x42, 8X42, 10X42 T*FL?
Today I look a 8x42 T*FL in a bird club,no doubt the seeing is very bright and
sharp^^.

Personally I prefer 8x42,but someone said 7x is the best optics, I think the objectives are the same,
only the focal length of eyepice is different.is't right?
Please giving me suggestions before I place an order.
Thank you very much~

I have a Nikon 10x42 monarch for birding now,my 10x42 SE had been sold last
year because the 3D effect makes a bit flat shape of bird. I can't accept
that even the optics is very good.+_+

Joe

Joe,

The 8x42 and 10x42 FLs are the same overall length, so I suspect they have identical objectives and different eyepieces.

The 7x42 is 9 mm shorter so I would guess it has shorter focal length objectives with the same eyepieces as the 8x42.

For a single bin, 8x42 is probably the ideal compromise but if you are doing a lot of woodland birding the 7x42 will not only give an easier view and wider FOV, but also more depth of field and somewhat better twilight performance.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back