• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Thanks to those who offered advice regarding Norfolk Hawkers recently, unfortunately I won't be acting upon it this weekend as the weather forecast looks far too windy. Instead I'd like to ask for a bit more advice about dragonflies in the New Forest for a trip in a week's time (and this time I will definitely be going, whatever the weather).

The species I'm most interested in seeing are Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Southern Damselfly and Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly (none of which I've seen before). Could anyone offer any advice as to the best sites for seeing (and photographing) these species? It's the last one I'm most interested in, I'm aware of Crockford stream for the first two species but I'm not aware of anywhere reliable for Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Thanks

Clive

Crockford is indeed good for the first two. Just note that in past years the car park's been closed until the end of June.

I've seen Scarce Blue-tailed Damsel at Hatchet Pond, in the boggy corner with a little stream running in, which I think is a traditional site in the New Forest. Might even see you there, as planning to go this w/e. :t:

Last edited:
Park at the Ogdens car park SU180123 and walk east along Latxchmore Brook. This holds Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Beautiful Demoiselle, Southern Damselfly and Scarce Bluetailed Damselfly. Best spot for the last is a good half mile from the car park in a boggy area on the North side of the brook.

John

Park at the Ogdens car park SU180123 and walk east along Latxchmore Brook. This holds Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Beautiful Demoiselle, Southern Damselfly and Scarce Bluetailed Damselfly. Best spot for the last is a good half mile from the car park in a boggy area on the North side of the brook.

John

A bit late on this one as I've been away in but agree 100% with John that the latchmore brook is the place to go to see Scarce Blue-tailed and Southern although the former never seem to be in large numbers.

The trip report for my one and only attempt at leading a dragonfly tour at Latchmore Brook is at http://www.solentwildlife.co.uk/index_files/Page585.htm - if it helps |;|

Quick report on my New Forest dragonfly hunting...

Latchmore Brook was a major disappointment, although this is probably more down to my unfamiliarity with the site than anything else. After several hours of faffing, we found what I think was the boggy area but no Scarce Blue-tails. One 'normal' Blue-tail (I've got a photo to prove it) and what in retrospect I think was a female Southern damselfly was all I found. We did meet someone who'd seen Scarce Blue-tails, Southerns, Small reds, Keeled skimmer etc so they must have been there somewhere.

Along the main stream, one ovipositing Golden-ringed which didn't stop for photos and a few Large Reds and Beautiful Demoiselles.

I was more impressed with the avian inhabitants of Latchmore, with Redstart, Stonechat, Bullfinch, Siskin, Grey Wagtail and Green Woodpecker present amongst the commoner species.

Later, at Ober Water, lots of Keeled Skimmers and Large Reds but little else, but the car park at Puttles Bridge was much more rewarding, being stuffed with Large and Small Red damselflies and teneral Keeled Skimmers, plus a few Broad-bodied Chasers and what I think was a couple of male Southerns.

Photos to follow (in about a week).

Maybe the clue is in the name.....

John

In an 8-week period in 2005 2000+ from a fairly small area were marked by a team from Liverpool university|=)|

Latchmore Brook was a major disappointment, although this is probably more down to my unfamiliarity with the site than anything else. After several hours of faffing, we found what I think was the boggy area but no Scarce Blue-tails. One 'normal' Blue-tail (I've got a photo to prove it) and what in retrospect I think was a female Southern damselfly was all I found. We did meet someone who'd seen Scarce Blue-tails, Southerns, Small reds, Keeled skimmer etc so they must have been there somewhere.

It's a shame I was in Spain when you made your original posting - I would have pointed you to http://www.newforestdragonflies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87 where I put a map.

Later, at Ober Water, lots of Keeled Skimmers and Large Reds but little else, but the car park at Puttles Bridge was much more rewarding, being stuffed with Large and Small Red damselflies and teneral Keeled Skimmers, plus a few Broad-bodied Chasers and what I think was a couple of male Southerns.

Was this the car park itself or the start of Silver Stream just south west of the bridge. The latter is a reliable spot for Southerns and I have seen Scarce Blue-tailed there.

The bushes in the vicinity of the car park. I'm not totally sure where the Silver Stream is. From the car park, we tried going back out to the road, crossing the bridge and then exploring the boggy area on the opposite side of the road but there wasn't that much other than good numbers of Keeled Skimmers and Large Reds.

It's a shame I was in Spain when you made your original posting - I would have pointed you to http://www.newforestdragonflies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87 where I put a map.

Thanks for this. Basically what we did, on the advice of the guy that we met along the way, was go to the reedy pond on the north side of the brook and then a couple of hundred yards beyond that to the fairly extensive boggy area. Is that the same area as marked on your map?

The bushes in the vicinity of the car park. I'm not totally sure where the Silver Stream is. From the car park, we tried going back out to the road, crossing the bridge and then exploring the boggy area on the opposite side of the road but there wasn't that much other than good numbers of Keeled Skimmers and Large Reds.

http://sites.google.com/site/localpatch/hampshire-dragonflies/dragonfly-sites and scroll down to Silver stream - there's a link to the OS map

Alternatively http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=...am|0,SU2710902923|Puttles_s_Bridge_s_CP|0&v=h

If I was looking for Southern and Scarce Blue-tailed on the stretch of the Ober Water between Puttles bridge and the A35 (Markway bridge) then here are the spots were I would be expecting them (White-leggeds anywhere along the section)

http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=SU2551603907|Scarce_s_Blue-tailed|0,SU2593003620|Southern|0&v=h

There is a large area of Bog Myrtle north of the OW roughly where I've put "Southern" on the map. Early / late in the day (and other times for immatures) many damsels rest here.

HTH

Last edited:
Latchmore Brook looks great, thanks to John and Paul for the gen :t:

I've annotated this map with pointers

http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=...791|SBT2|0,SU1946313082|Gypsy_s_Hollies|0&v=h

SBT1 is the first area I search for Scarce Blue-tailed, SBT2 is a flat area to the north with some ?concrete blocks which is also a good area.

Southerns occur all the way from SBT1 to Gyspsy Hollies.

I expect there are people who think I shouldn't be putting this info out re Red Data species - but it is all in an article in BDS Dragonfly News 2006 by Peter Allen the Hampshire Recorder!

Hi Paul

Thanks for this info. We may be going back on Saturday but will probably be giving Crockford bridge and Hatchet Pond a go instead, since we didn't get to try them on Tuesday.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back