• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lapland Bunting? (1 Viewer)

The very demarcated, dark-zoned, red-brown tertials on right wing? Heavily streaked rump and deep body? Deeply cleft tail, and lack of obvious white trailing-edge, even in a poor flight capture? Those heavily streaked/demarcated sides also? And, as to white in the outer-tail? Here's a demonstration...

http://naturalcrooks.com/rambles/wp...aplandLongspurFlightOnNaturalCrooksDotCom.jpg

But, then, it has a Skylark feel about it too! Because it's a poor image, like we all take!... :cat:

Last edited:
Lark sp perhaps, but not Skylark; there's no white trailing edge to the wing.

The white background and the very windswept (so much that even tertials/secondaries are momentarily parted forming a large gap) and blurred wings IMO could perceivably have made the white trailing edge impossibe to see?

But I agree that it is very difficult to give other than inspired guesses here....just think that the streaks and relatively pale groundcolour of the back and rump, and the long, triangular wings point away from Lapland Bunting.

Thanks to all for help! I found another picture probably of this bird. Still it could say not too much... Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_7442.jpg
    IMG_7442.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 219
Here are two images of another bird, not mine, but to my mind, it has many same details of the plumage and shape.

Attachments

• IMG_9498.jpg
    IMG_9498.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_9500.jpg
    IMG_9500.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 154
Hi Viktor,

I must say I'm struggling to see why the bird in your fist pic isn't a Lapland Bunting!? Heavily streaked flanks & rump & unmarked lower breast/belly; looks good to me but difficult to be absolutely 100%.

Hi Viktor,

I must say I'm struggling to see why the bird in your fist pic isn't a Lapland Bunting!? Heavily streaked flanks & rump & unmarked lower breast/belly; looks good to me but difficult to be absolutely 100%.

I'd say that the quality of the streaks on the lower back and rump differ from the more diffuse and 'untidy' ones of Lapland Bunting.
Furthermore the body is too deep-chested and thus bulkier than the more evenly elongated shape of the bunting.

I guess we shall never know for sure.......

On reflection, I offer Corn Bunting into the mix...

A video I did a couple of years ago. Short secondaries. Moth-like primaries. Still doesn't explain the tail edges and apparent strongly marked rump. But poor captures can confuse what is really there... But I'm throwing it in! ;)

ps And I reckon the pale edge to the tail are Corn Bunting legs, catching the light. We all know they like to show them off! And in pic 1? Is that a pale stubby beak I see?

pps Don't even get me on to extremely overweight Redpoll and Twite! :-O

https://youtu.be/PPb9TefAfSY

Last edited:
Isn't too early for Corn Bunting now?
By the way, I just intended to offer a Twite :)
I see a pale stubby beak as well but I'm not sure it is a beak :)

Last edited:
Isn't too early for Corn Bunting now?

Never thought of Corn Bunting as migratory! (they're 100% resident in Britain) - but checking the maps, in Ukraine they are resident in the southwest, but summer visitors in the rest of the country. With short-distance migrants like this, the boundary between summer and all year can vary a lot; in a mild or snowless winter, they may stay further north than in a year with deep snow cover hiding food sources. So I'd not be surprised if you did get a few Corn Buntings staying the winter if the weather hasn't been bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back