• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lapland Bunting? (1 Viewer)

Can't disagree with early migrants, but the rump... I think most features are for Skylark...

After a couple of days living with this, and reviewing the options on a very poor capture (that we all take regularly!)? I'm inclined to understand that, in such an image, a clear white trailing edge, on a very blurred wing is not a given for a bad capture at slow shutter speed?
The evidence? Rump and tail pattern have been captured, colour and distribution of markings/patternation. And that "finch-like pale-bill" would fit too! Also occurence of suspected birds in area of Ukraine at time of capture?
So, which is prime suspect?

Don't even need to say it... :cat:

After a couple of days living with this, and reviewing the options on a very poor capture (that we all take regularly!)? I'm inclined to understand that, in such an image, a clear white trailing edge, on a very blurred wing is not a given for a bad capture at slow shutter speed?
The evidence? Rump and tail pattern have been captured, colour and distribution of markings/patternation. And that "finch-like pale-bill" would fit too! Also occurence of suspected birds in area of Ukraine at time of capture?
So, which is prime suspect?

Don't even need to say it... :cat:
Thank you very much Phil for attention to my problem :)
I live with this too ))) Sorry, but I didn't get who is your prime suspect?

The 'pale bill' is a digital artifact IMHO. The bill of a bunting or Skylark surely wouldn't be visible from such an acute angle viewed almost from behind as it is?

Thank you very much Phil for attention to my problem :)
I live with this too ))) Sorry, but I didn't get who is your prime suspect?

Sorry Viktor!

I agree with Skylark, on reflection! Rump and tail sides swung it for me. Everything else IMHO is poor, blurred and confusing for me. And not admissible evidence. But a pale Skylark bill? Admissible! :t:

Ps I'd still love it to be a heavily gravid Twite! ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back