• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D and PSE8 (1 Viewer)

Ken Hall

I have just set up my new 7D and taken a few shots. Photoshop Elements 8 doesn't seem to recognise the files. So what do I need to do? Please keep it simple, I'm no expert ;)

if you have DPP you can convert your raw files to tiff or jpeg then they can be opened in pse 8.
IN DPP over on the right you click BATCH PROCESS then chouse what you want there .
Rob.

Hi Ken,

I've now got PSE 8 on my PC, and a 450D. I also found that PSE wouldn't read the jpg files directly from the camera.

However, I found that by copying the files from the camera to a folder on the PC & then PSE8 would open the jpg files.

Might be worth a try.

Richard

I think that you are gonna have to down load a plug in from Adobe for you to use Element 8.

Personally I think that the Canon software stinks and use Breeze Browser Pro for all my RAW conversions

I use DPP for raw and then convert to jpg I don't use tiff as my images will only be used on the web. I use PSE6 for jpg and the add on neatimage from time to time. I think DPP is a very good programme for conversions

I have just set up my new 7D and taken a few shots. Photoshop Elements 8 doesn't seem to recognise the files. So what do I need to do? Please keep it simple, I'm no expert ;)

If you mean raw files, then you need to upgrade your version of ACR to 5.6 - not sure how, try Help | Check for updates.

Ken

Hand held about 7mtrs

Cleethorpes boating lake 7m must have been one of the wilder ones -- if you could not get a good image of a duck at 7m with a big lens the camera would have to be really crap and the thread was questioning why Elements 8 does not recognise 7D RAW files -- I downloaded the plug in and updates and although it opens the file it does not show the thumbnails and no-one has managed to explain why?

Graham,

We don't all take photo's at distance and crop to 60% at ISO 2000 then complain about the Camera. You obviously don't know what you are doing with a digital camera, no wonder some photographers get fed up with your questions! You slated the 40D when taking the long tailed skua in flight at Notts, you said the camera would not lock on to the Bird in flight "BROWN BIRD OVER A BROWN FIELD" ? common knowledge!!! you could not use the 1DMK3, and you don't appear to be using the 7D anymore, is this because you can't operate it ?

the thread was questioning why Elements 8 does not recognise 7D RAW files -- I downloaded the plug in and updates and although it opens the file it does not show the thumbnails and no-one has managed to explain why?

Yes, I'm not sure what a shot of a Pochard, no matter how good, has got to do with the topic of this thread. If there's a mod about can we move some posts - especially the argument?

Anyhow, when you say 'it' does not display the thumbnail does the 'it' refer to the 'file open' dialog box? If so, you can get that to display the thumbnails by installing the correct codec. The best bet is to download the codec pack from here. That should get you working proper.

I had the same problem with PSE6 with raw files, you have to import them into PSE6 to look at the raw file in PSE6, I did not like doing it that way, and started using DPP for all my adjustment in raw and converted to jpg to view in PSE6 and just finished off any small adjustments/neatimage, I still say I think DPP is better to handle your raw files its made by Canon, they made the camera, I am ducking down for the flack, I cannot remember if it showed me the thumbnails,

thank you to all who have offered suggestions. I have now successfully installed Camera Raw 5.6 for PSE8 and everything is working fine. I'm off to celebrate. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back