• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photochromic lenses (1 Viewer)

bh46118

Do those of you who wear glasses when using your binoculars think photochromatic lenses cause the image to be too dark ? I've been thinking about having a dedicated pair made without any darkening specifically for use with my binoculars.

Bruce

I can't tolerate using sunglasses of any sort while birding, photochromic or otherwise. I don't like the darkened image through the bin and I don't like the color casts most add. I especially don't like polarized sunglasses when birding. They change the apparent brightness/shading and colors (even when not looking through bins) in ways that make even common birds look strangely unfamiliar, almost like as if I were suffering a sort of prosopagnosia.

Otherwise, I love polarized sunglasses. And as someone who has spent a lot of time in the deserts of the Middle East and north Africa, I appreciate that it can get very bright outdoors. Even then, the sunglasses come off when I am birding.

--AP

Photochromics can remove a lot of light before they look very dark to you,
so I'd say having a clear pair is a great idea. There are color effects that are hard
to see just from the overall lens color.

If you do want to dim your view, a front cap with a hole gives you
a big increase in depth of field. Or you can whip out another pair with same power
but a smaller aperture and enjoy the extra portability.

I can't tolerate using sunglasses of any sort while birding, photochromic or otherwise. I don't like the darkened image through the bin and I don't like the color casts most add. I especially don't like polarized sunglasses when birding. They change the apparent brightness/shading and colors (even when not looking through bins) in ways that make even common birds look strangely unfamiliar, almost like as if I were suffering a sort of prosopagnosia.

Otherwise, I love polarized sunglasses. And as someone who has spent a lot of time in the deserts of the Middle East and north Africa, I appreciate that it can get very bright outdoors. Even then, the sunglasses come off when I am birding.

--AP

Agree with everything 100%. I love polarized lenses but not with bins. Love winged eyecups for blocking side light but not glasses...

Agree with all of the above.

Sunglasses of any description and birding, butterflying, dragonflying, flowering etc etc just don't mix. At least not for me.

Lee

I wear photochromic glasses all the time as it does get a bit bright here at times and I have not noticed any difference in the image my brain receives.However I have had these for over twenty years so my interpretation may now be way off.I had a pair of precription sunglasses with polarising lenses ( at great cost I might add) and had no trouble with them until I bought the Zeiss HT´s and with these they produced psychedelic when viewing the sea or any glossy plumage such as a raven.I have the Conquest HD and have no problems with that so it must be something to do with the coatings on the HT´s.I no longer wear these whilst birding but will continue to wear the photochromic. Regards ...Eddy

Last edited:
I was thinking (I know, scary for a non-technical mind, but sometimes the optics experts are too jaded to ask dumb questions that might lead to innovations, or at least that's the story I'm going with :)... WHAT IF a company such as Zeiss, who some users have complained about FLs and HTs being TOO bright on sunny days, resulting in image "wash out," had photochromic lenses? Not so severe that it would completely darken the view like a pair of dark shades, but enough to knock it down a notch or two on really bright days? Feasible or just another hair-brained Idea from Uncle Joe at Petticoat Junction?

Also interested in hearing an explanation for Eddie's comment above about the view through the HTs with photochromic eyeglasses producing psychedelic views.

"Like, far out, man, is that a big raven, or the hair on Edgar Allen Poe's big head?"

<B>

Last edited:
Its an interesting question Brock, but having put so much effort into increasing transmission I can't see Z being too enthusiastic about dropping the odd percent of transmission.

If I get the chance to ask this question though, I will, and will post the results up here.

Lee

I was thinking (I know, scary for a non-technical mind, but sometimes the optics experts are too jaded to ask dumb questions that might lead to innovations, or at least that's the story I'm going with :)... WHAT IF a company such as Zeiss, who some users have complained about FLs and HTs being TOO bright on sunny days, resulting in image "wash out," had photochromic lenses? Not so severe that it would completely darken the view like a pair of dark shades, but enough to knock it down a notch or two on really bright days? Feasible or just another hair-brained Idea from Uncle Joe at Petticoat Junction?

Also interested in hearing an explanation for Eddie's comment above about the view through the HTs with photochromic eyeglasses producing psychedelic views.

"Like, far out, man, is that a big raven, or the hair on Edgar Allen Poe's big head?"

<B>

I actually have wondered this myself. I LIKE the enhanced colors these coatings would provide, even IF the laboratory numbers are slightly reduced. As I said in another thread, I preferred Leica over Zeiss and Swarovski for the view when BOTH beat it in the actual numbers as far as percentage of light transmission.

Well...now that I and Brock agree on something...I think I'll go put a gun in my mouth... :'D:'D

It might be pointed out that a reduction in overall transmission from photochromic (or neutral gray) glasses does not reverse technology and transform fully multicoated optics into anything like uncoated ones. The heightened brightness we enjoy from multi-coatings and P-coatings is simply a byproduct of reducing internal reflections that would otherwise compromise the image. These internal reflections do not return when using photochromic eyeglasses, particularly if they are also multicoated.

Since sunglasses are highly desirable to protect your eyes under very bright daylight conditions, I believe they are also desirable when using modern binoculars with high transmissions. like ≥ 90%.

Although not perfect, particularly as dusk, my own experience with photochromic lenses has been excellent, — so I'd recommend giving them a fair try.

That's my $.02 worth.

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back