• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kahles Binoculars...opinions please? (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,

A local dealer is offering Kahles 8x42 and 10x42 binoculars at £200 less than list price. They seem very impressive but handling in the shop doesn't equate to using outside and comparing against others.

Has anyone real experience with these binoculars and can offer a fair opinion?

Thanks

Marc:

I have owned the Kahles 8x42, and did sell it 2 years ago. I will give you my opinion,
and I am thinking the current model is similar.

I really liked the Kahles, as it has a high quality of build and armor, much like the Swarovski, and a few years ago, they were much related, with Swarovski owning Kahles. The 8x42, is a good mid-range binocular, with a field of view of 6.3 deg, with
low distortion to the edge, and I would rank it as well done in many ways.

I am not sure how your dealer has them priced, but do compare these with some others
in the same area. One advantage to these, is they do impress with that quality European quality build and feel. The optics are nice, and they may fit you well.

Not many reports here on BF about Kahles since I have been active, I am hoping some
others will also chip in.

Good luck.

Jerry

Kahles bino

I have used the 8x32's only.
The larger glasses were competing with the Swaro SLC, lighter though.
They seemed to be competent glass but I never did a resolution or color chart test but liked how they compared to similar sized glass, they compared well in handling but at the time I thought them over priced.
Compare them to like priced glass, look into some shadow and see how they do for color and resolution...at a deeply discounted price they may be great.
Enjoy the testing and comparison, it can be very educational and a lot of fun.
Art

I have a Kahles 8 x 32. A grey model from when Kahles was associated with Swarovski.

Now, at least here in the USA, they are associated with GAMO, which is mostly known for it's high quality Air Guns.

This 8 x 32 is very rugged and it's build and exterior covering has a remarkable resemblance to my Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid with it's lengthwise ribbing. It is a short, solid binocular. Shorter than my 8 x 30 SLC. It's FOV is 399' at 1000 yards. It is not as bright as the SLC and the edges aren't quite as good but it cost about 1/2 what the SLC cost. It handles glare about as well as the SLC does. It looks like it could take a real beating and keep on ticking.

It is probably the most rugged small binocular I have seen. I also looked through the 8 x 42 and 10 x 42 versions and got the same impressions. Their FOV's are rather narrow but typical for their price range. I got the impression that they were primarily designed for hunters looking for a reasonably priced, good reliable glass that could be used in a harsh environment. You could certainly bird with them under these conditions too.

Bob

Caesar,

I could probably pick up a 2nd hand pair of Swaro SLCs for a similar price. What would you opt for?

Marc

Marc,

I assume you are talking about the 8 x 30/32 format here. If you are looking at 8 x 42 or 10 x 42 then in all likelihood the Swarovski's will be better, even used. They will have wider FOV for one thing. But try them and see for yourself.

As for the 8 x 32 Kahles and 8 x 30 SLC you will also have to try them both and see for yourself. I like the eye relief better on the Kahles. I compared them this morning. The SLC controls glare better when looking in the direction of the sun. It is brighter and seems to have better contrast.

I would be more confident with Swarovski's warranty program also as it has a great reputation and Kahles binoculars are not well known. Otherwise these 2 binoculars are pretty close. But remember that the 8 x 30 SLC originally cost twice as much as the 8 x 32 Kahles so it should be brighter and have better glare control.

If I was a complete novice and had one or the other and had not compared them I would be happy with either one. But I own them both and I used the Kahles as a car binocular until recently when I switched to a Swift 828. I don't use the SLC too much only because I have other favorites.

Bob

Last edited:
I have a Kahles 8 x 32. A grey model from when Kahles was associated with Swarovski.

Now, at least here in the USA, they are associated with GAMO, which is mostly known for it's high quality Air Guns.

This 8 x 32 is very rugged and it's build and exterior covering has a remarkable resemblance to my Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid with it's lengthwise ribbing. It is a short, solid binocular. Shorter than my 8 x 30 SLC. It's FOV is 399' at 1000 yards. It is not as bright as the SLC and the edges aren't quite as good but it cost about 1/2 what the SLC cost. It handles glare about as well as the SLC does. It looks like it could take a real beating and keep on ticking.

It is probably the most rugged small binocular I have seen. I also looked through the 8 x 42 and 10 x 42 versions and got the same impressions. Their FOV's are rather narrow but typical for their price range. I got the impression that they were primarily designed for hunters looking for a reasonably priced, good reliable glass that could be used in a harsh environment. You could certainly bird with them under these conditions too.

Bob

Bob:

Just wanted to update your post about Kahles. As of April, GAMO is no
longer the distributor for Kahles in the US. Right now, you send items for
repair to Swarovski, in Rhode Island. They will send them to Austria for
repair. I think they are looking for a new distributor in the US, but I've
not seen anything. I do have a Kahles rifle scope, and so I keep track.

Jerry

Bob:

Just wanted to update your post about Kahles. As of April, GAMO is no
longer the distributor for Kahles in the US. Right now, you send items for
repair to Swarovski, in Rhode Island. They will send them to Austria for
repair. I think they are looking for a new distributor in the US, but I've
not seen anything. I do have a Kahles rifle scope, and so I keep track.

Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks. That is good to know. The papers that came with my binocular had an address and phone# for Kahles at 2 Slater Road, Cranston, R I. 02920- (866-606-8780) but when I called it (over 2 years ago) I was not able to make contact. I then called Swarovski direct at their toll free number and was told they no longer had dealings with them and was referred GAMO.

GAMO now has a link at their old Kahles Website (www.kahlesoptik.com) referring all calls, effective April 2011, concerning Kahles back to their old phone number above. And to www.Kahles.at.

So it appears that we have to contact Swarovski Optik NA LTD at 1-800-426-3089 now.

I guess that summarizes it.

Bob

PS: That is an interesting website for Kahles in Austria. You can select 3 languages: Deutsch, Englisch and Englisch North America!

Apparently the Austrians anyway, believe we are separated from Great Britain by a common language!

Last edited:
PS: That is an interesting website for Kahles in Austria. You can select 3 languages: Deutsch, Englisch and Englisch North America!

Apparently the Austrians anyway, believe we are separated from Great Britain by a common language!

I guess it's because of the inches, feet, yards and ounces thing...

Last edited:
Haven't tried the brand, but read some reviews a while back when I saw a used one for sale on eBay and was wondering if it were worth the price.

Allinos, a Polish review site, praised the 8x32 model, particularly the light transmission (although you will find that allbino's light transmission figures are subject to question on BF).

Allbinos called them a "well made instrument" and mentioned that "It’s worth having a look at the transmission graph because it is a sight to behold. The graph looks like that of the Swarovski EL."

http://www.allbinos.com/181-binoculars_review-Kahles_8x32.html

However, they noted medium CA in the center and significant at the edge

The 10x42 did not fare as well due to "a huge speck of dust glued to the inner lens of the right eyepiece" and egg-shaped exit pupils.

http://www.allbinos.com/141-binoculars_review-Kahles_10x42.html

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back