• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binocular - need advice please (1 Viewer)

Tyson90

Czech Republic
Hi I'm looking for binocular local astrology shop advice me Kowa 6x30 or 8x40 YF II eventually Delta optical Forest 10x42
They do not have well knowledge on birding, so I decided to try my luck here, price range 200e-250e would been nice, should I try one of those 3 picks or You advice me otherwise please? Thank You all very much!

If you have a local shop then try out the ones they suggest and others in your price range. Nothing beats trying them for real.

I never heard or read anything bad about the Kowa YF. The magnification depends on what the average distance is at which you wanna watch birds. And the terrain. Open fields or forest? Water fowl on a river 500m away? In that case I'd go for 10x42. Watching birds in your own garden -- 6x30 would be enough.
The most "universal" size is probably 8x42. Some claim that any higher magnification will not show more detail because the shaking of your hands and body will be amplified by the magnification but I think a lot depends on how you use them and how the ergonomics are. When on a walk, I rather take a smaller magnification. When at home, where I rest my ellbows on a pillow, I can go up to 10x or even 12x magnification.

I never heard or read anything bad about the Kowa YF. The magnification depends on what the average distance is at which you wanna watch birds. And the terrain. Open fields or forest? Water fowl on a river 500m away? In that case I'd go for 10x42. Watching birds in your own garden -- 6x30 would be enough.
The most "universal" size is probably 8x42. Some claim that any higher magnification will not show more detail because the shaking of your hands and body will be amplified by the magnification but I think a lot depends on how you use them and how the ergonomics are. When on a walk, I rather take a smaller magnification. When at home, where I rest my ellbows on a pillow, I can go up to 10x or even 12x magnification.
Hi, mostly I'll watch from balcony and also do walks in forest, I also wish to see hawks

The biggest advantage of a low magnification is -- it is very stable (less shaking) when observing and you don't need to re-focus as much because more of the image will be in focus because of the low magnification.

The biggest advantage of a low magnification is -- it is very stable (less shaking) when observing and you don't need to re-focus as much because more of the image will be in focus because of the low magnification.
I canceled the order, I am considering pocket size as I'm going thru various forums, I do travel a lot, what do You think in price range up to 300 USD, better cheaper lower side, would be my best bet and which resolution, please, if You could be so kind and give me 3-5 possible options for me, thanks so much in advance

I don't have any modern pocket binos but I looked through a Kowa BD 8x25 which is pretty good. Didn't like the rather small field of view though. Only 6.3° which is really not much for a bino with 8x magnification.

I don't have any modern pocket binos but I looked through a Kowa BD 8x25 which is pretty good. Didn't like the rather small field of view though. Only 6.3° which is really not much for a bino with 8x magnification.
Hi, and do you think I could get at least a bit decent scope, if I add something small to budget, I am beginner, but plenty ppl advice me to gather a scope, I can deal with the hustle, I'm sure with cheap scope it won't be awesome, but also have no idea, which might be a good fit in this price range, being it of course not the worst at the market:) thanks and wish you nice rest of the evening!

Hi, and do you think I could get at least a bit decent scope, if I add something small to budget, I am beginner, but plenty ppl advice me to gather a scope, I can deal with the hustle, I'm sure with cheap scope it won't be awesome, but also have no idea, which might be a good fit in this price range, being it of course not the worst at the market:) thanks and wish you nice rest of the evening!
I often use a Hawke 7x42 monocular, Endurance Marine ED. Much more portable than a scope and very good optically. Travel friendly, good in low light. I've been able to focus and hold with one hand and I haven't experienced any shake.

Hi, mostly I'll watch from balcony and also do walks in forest, I also wish to see hawks

walks in the forest--my Kowa KY11 6x30 is great
hawks-- higher mag better for ID as more distant birds
watch from balcony--for long distance spotting scope may be better,
close viewing with lower mag binoculars , intermediate distance viewing 8X

best all around binoculars 8x30-32 or 8x40-42
30-32 lighter weight for neck relief
40-42 better light gathering for low light conditions

edj

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back