• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A seal 15 miles from Salt Water in a small river (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

I got a new lens in the mail yesterday to go with my new camera and hopefully get some bird photos.

I was on my deck playing with the camera, when a Seal showed up. Bear in mind I am many miles from salt water, one mile from a fresh water Salmon and Steelhead hatchery. I don't know if any seals have ever been reported this far up the river. He didn't appear to be unhappy.

I did alert NOAA's (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association) OPR, (Office of Protected Resources), oy vey, as well as some other State, and non-State actors. I'm hoping the right folks get involved, or he finds his way back downstream before some local fisherman goes "vigilante" on the poor creature.

I thought it was a Harbor Seal, which do make their way into this river, much further downstream. Now, looking at the dark color, and Leopard like spots, I'm less sure. There are a lot of scientists on this board, and I'd love to read what they have to say.

I took a million photos. Here are a few.

Attachments

• P1020097.jpg
    P1020097.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 71
  • P1020063.JPG
    P1020063.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 71
  • P1020072.JPG
    P1020072.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1020060.JPG
    P1020060.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Seal.JPG
    Seal.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
In the UK we quite often get seals in freshwater quite some distance from the sea, and sometimes they have passed through several locks.

The furthers I know was about 65 miles upstream, but there may be some even further than that.

Mark

Looks like a Harbor Seal (Common Seal in UK till Atlantic/Pacific forms get split anyway) , they do quite commonly get up particularly the rivers through the Fens.

Seals have also been known to get into Loch Lomond, which requires negotiating rapids.

Still an interesting occurrence.

John

yep...there are even some freshwater populations in Canada and Alaska. I wouldn't worry too much about the health of the animal

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back