• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mac Book Pro Editing Software (1 Viewer)

mali

England
Hi,
I have just treated meself to a new Mac Book Pro, and I'm wondering what are the best software programs to use to edit my bird pics? Any information on this subject, would be highly appreciated.

There are many photo editing programs that will work on a Mac. Of more importance is which one suits you and your workflow.

If you shoot raw, you may feel some programs handle files from your particular camera better than others.

I have a Mac Book Pro and for many years I used Photoshop Elements. I still have version 11, but I recently got Lightroom and overall I prefer it.

Most programs offer a free (sometimes limited) download so you can try before you buy. That could be worth a go.

Malcolm

Have you seen what you can do with iPhoto, which every Mac comes with?

Worth a look, if you haven't tried.

I use iPhoto's big brother Aperture (£59 from the App store), together with Google's Nik suite, which works for me, and a lot cheaper than Lightroom + Photoshop, which will cost you £8.99 a month rental for ever. Difficult (but not impossible) to buy a legal copy of Lightroom now - all Adobe software is moving to rental - although I'm sure there are plenty of hacked copies about. I also use Pixelmator and Photomatix with Aperture.

Aperture works brilliantly with both Canon an Fuji raw files.

But I am possibly facing a change to Lightroom when Apple drops Aperture, which it has announced it will do at some point, replacing both Aperture and iPhoto with a single new Photos app.

I have and use both Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom on my Mac. Like both a lot, now that I am retired I won't be buying more upgrades - due to cost. I have friends that use Photoshop elements and others that use Aperture, both seem to be excellent choices.

Mali if you are a Nikon man use the OEM program NX2, it really does work best with Nikon RAW

But I am possibly facing a change to Lightroom when Apple drops Aperture, which it has announced it will do at some point, replacing both Aperture and iPhoto with a single new Photos app.

If you don't get along with the lightroom thought processes, then remember there are good alternatives such as ACDSee

Niels

Can anyone suggest a good tool for resizing. As far as I can tell iPhoto does not offer this feature and it's essential for posting pix on BF.

Right now I re-size using Preview, which came with my MacBook Pro, and its doing a lousy job . . .

As I'm basically just a bridge camera happy snapper I'm not looking to spend lots on an expensive editing suite, so would welcome any recommendations on a cheap and cheerful re-sizer or suggestions for making Preview perform better.

Many thanks
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back