• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo tripod fell apart and broke my lens!!! (2 Viewers)

Helios

Whilst carrying my photographic setup over my shoulder, the Gitzo mounting base unexpectedly fell out, and the lens smashed on the floor. Probably a 6 foot fall onto a muddy path. My old manual 500/4 would probably have been undamaged, but the modern lenses, in what seems to be a drive to reduce weight, are made of less robust material and have little impact resistance. The lens collar is split apart, and has pulled up the thread and lip to the section nearest the camera. The focusing ring is dented and manual focus can no longer be used. Autofocus and VR both seem to work, and I can still use it.

The mounting base had come out as the fixing screw had worked it's way loose. Probably mechanical creep, caused by the stresses of daily use, and maybe also the thermal expansion and contraction of the metal parts. So I now highly recommend getting out a set of torque rings or Allen keys and tightening the tripod setup regularly, say every three months. And also to avoid carrying the setup over your shoulder where possible, especially for extended periods of time.

I'm not insured, so it looks like I'm gonna learn the hard way.

Attachments

• 039rev1.jpg
    039rev1.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,503
Oh that's awful news.

Mines worked its way loose a couple of times. Fortunately I always had the lens strap around my neck just in case something happened, and it did.

You may be able to claim some of the costs under your house insurance.

Helios, Sorry to hear about your tripod/lens accident. I had a similar problem a few years back with my digiscoping rig, scope & camera fell off the tripod when I lifted it to my shoulder, fortunately the damage was only minor and mostly to the camera and it was repairable.

So when I got my Canon 600mm and a Gitzo tripod, I also got a NSN Safety Plate to eliminate this problem. See http://www.naturescapes.net/store ITEM: NSN Safety Plates for Gitzo tripods.

I know this info is too late for you, but it may help someone else reading your post.

Good Birding & Photography,

Dick

What a disaster - the NSN plates are a solution - but I think Gitzo should offer a better tripod for $1000.- they ask.
I'd send them a mail and show them the damage - they NEED to take action.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me on Fair Isle a couple of years ago, with a Canon 600mm f4. I got away with it, other than a couple of dents and scratches to the bodywork. I managed to sort it out by raiding the observatory shed for a suitable tool, but yes, I totally agree about the Allen key idea.

Sorry to hear of your terrible accident. Just checked mine and managed a quarter turn to the bolt. Safety plates are out of stock, so i'm going to ask an engineering friend to knock something up for me. Thanks for the tip.
regards
mike

Helios I know how you feel, that's an awful failure, I see the plates are out of stock to prevent this but will order one asap. Best I give my tripod a once over. Have you contacted Gitzo? What model was your tripod?

Sorry to hear about your accident Helios. Looking at the way it is designed, carrying the tripod over your shoulder seems to be a very bad idea. The spigot which fits into the ring at the top of the legs is very wide but shallow. While the tripod is upright, gravity will be helping to hold it in place and it will be exceptionally rigid and strong. However once it is tilted, the sideways forces will be trying to pull the spigot out. Because the spigot is so short, any slackness in the bolt will let it pop out like the lid from a Pringles tube. I would want a secondary securing measure of some sort.

Ron

Just ordered one of the safety plates from BH in NYC, inc shipping to the UK $113.00 a bit steep but not if considering the benefits, shipping was almost as expensive as the plate.

Yeah I reckon about $50.00, having had my lens in the shop for over a month after my fall last year I would rather minimise it happening again, the bill for my repair from Nikon was £2700, luckily insured, it was surprisingly easy to damage and older big prime, don't wish to do that again in a hurry, hope you have more luck than I did

$1000 for a tripod that falls to bits ? Then you have to buy a "safety plate" for $90 to prevent possible damage to equipment ? Not really a good advert for Gitzo is it.

Yeah I reckon about $50.00, having had my lens in the shop for over a month after my fall last year I would rather minimise it happening again, the bill for my repair from Nikon was £2700, luckily insured, it was surprisingly easy to damage and older big prime, don't wish to do that again in a hurry, hope you have more luck than I did

Didn't realise you had had an accident too Steve, glad to hear you were insured.

$1000 for a tripod that falls to bits ? Then you have to buy a "safety plate" for $90 to prevent possible damage to equipment ? Not really a good advert for Gitzo is it.

Couldn't agree more Steve ! When I do finally upgrade my tripod from my Manfrotto Pro055x any suggestions as to what with ?
The Manfrotto has given good service, has covered many miles over my shoulder with a 500mm attached and has( touch wood) never let me down.
I would like one that I can get closer to the ground with though, the Manfrotto having a centre column.
I have been rather turned off the Gitzo as a result of reading this thread !
cheers Dave

The mounting base on my Feisol 3372 has three equally spaced Allen screws to hold the base in - even so I regularly check the screws in case they have worked loose, not happened yet but you never know.

If this would be a car it would be time for a recall .....

Pitty that there is no obligation for the manufacturer to do this, especl. since we are not talking about a $50 department store house brand product ......

After reading this thread will interest I sent Gitzo a Email regarding my GT5531S tripod.
This was the reply.
"Thank you for your enquiry into Gitzo products.
To ensure that the camera and lens do not pull the top plate out, the user must ensure that the weight of the camera and lens is distributed centrally on the tripod. The only cause for the top plate being pulled out is the result of poor set-up, the camera and lens weight being positioned too far from the centre of the tripod. There is nothing wrong with the design of the tripod or the quality of the materials used.
Hope this helps."

The comments here, which have all been objective and to the point, have meant that I will not buy a Gitzo tripod now, having been on the point of doing so. To me there does seem to be a problem and I am not willing to risk my body and lens. Whilst I can understand the stance from the manufacturer in not just accepting responsibility I would have thought a response of we are looking at the issue may have been more apt and managed their reputational damage a bit better. I wonder how many other people have been put off buying one. Of course I accept that there are many people who are pertectly happy with their tripod.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back