• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Printing problems (1 Viewer)

kim

Hi -I would be grateful for some help please.

I am printing using a Epson R300 - bought last year after advice here - and generally am pleased with it.

However I would like to print so that the pictures look like they do on screen after editing with Adobe -ie the computer version rather than how Epson dictates they should look. I believe it can be done. Could someone please advise if this is possible - and how it is done.

Thanks
Kim

kim said:
Hi -I would be grateful for some help please.

I am printing using a Epson R300 - bought last year after advice here - and generally am pleased with it.

However I would like to print so that the pictures look like they do on screen after editing with Adobe -ie the computer version rather than how Epson dictates they should look. I believe it can be done. Could someone please advise if this is possible - and how it is done.

Thanks
Kim
Hi Kim

It is possible, but to do it properly needs the system colour calibrating so that you have the relevant profiles for your paper and ink type. You can sometimes download manufacturer profiles if you don't have calibrating software, these icc profiles need to put in the C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color directory.
Dependent on which version of Photoshop you are using you need to assign the colour profile before printing, it is easiest in CS2 as here you just choose print preview then under colour management options choose to let photoshop determine colour profile and in next box select the created profile.
In older version you had to go under the edit menu and use the convert to profile option and apply the created profile there before printing.
Sorry for being such a techno geek, but if you need any more help just yell!!

kim said:
I would like to print so that the pictures look like they do on screen after editing with Adobe -ie the computer version rather than how Epson dictates they should look.Kim

In what way do they differ?

There are many factors that control how a printed output will look and the most likely cause of difference is the combination of paper and ink. Do you use Epson original ink and paper?

I have spent a bit of time experimenting with different inks and papers and the results are substantially different. The best combination I found (and the most expensive) was epson originals. If you don't use original inks try experimenting with different papers, borrow some from friends and see if the results are better. It can take a bit of fiddling but once you find a combination you like, stick with it.

You can also try looking for a setting in photoshop that alows you to set your monitor in such a way that it produces colours closer to the printed output. I don't use photoshop but in Paintshop it is called 'Monitor Gamma'

Hope this helps

DW

Hi there thanks for the quick response.
I always use best quality paper and also Epson original cartridges - so I am sure that is not the problem - it's just that when I have edited in Photoshop and it looks the way I want it to - fine if I am keeping it on disc or similar storage methods - but if I print - they may be OK for some "non birders" but they are just not the same as when I had finished editing.
I really am not at all technical so would be grateful for clear directions. I am using Photoshop 7 - and it has taken me quite a while to get my hear round it!! :scribe:

kim said:
Hi there thanks for the quick response.
I always use best quality paper and also Epson original cartridges - so I am sure that is not the problem - it's just that when I have edited in Photoshop and it looks the way I want it to - fine if I am keeping it on disc or similar storage methods - but if I print - they may be OK for some "non birders" but they are just not the same as when I had finished editing.
I really am not at all technical so would be grateful for clear directions. I am using Photoshop 7 - and it has taken me quite a while to get my hear round it!! :scribe:
Hi Kim
Unfortunately whilst using Epson genuine inks and best quality papers ( you do not say this is Epson!) the way the ink reacts with the paper varies, whilst you should get better results staying totally Epson, it isn't always the case, it may be worth looking on the website for the manufacturer of your paper, some of the good manufacturers, Lyson etc. have profiles downloadable for various Printer models which they assume are using genuine inks which will go a long way to help.
These need to be put in the directory stated earlier, then as this is version 7 you will need to go to the edit menu and then convert to profile where you can convert your image to the profile that you have downloaded before printing.
Personally I use an R300 with another make ink and paper, but I use the Monaco EZColor colour calibration system which works spot on and whilst the outlay on colour calibration kit is a cost initially, I soon recouped it by the fact I can reliably use £9 per set inks as opposed to somewhere nearer £50 per full set of genuine epson cartridges and very rarely get a duff print.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back