• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 X TCs Old V New (1 Viewer)

I took the TC 20E 111 to the woods to photograph thrushes in low light. The AF works ok on stationary objects in but as soon as the birds move about it starts hunting and sometimes won't focus again if the subject keeps moving. I missed a few shots this way. There may be AF settings I could try to improve the situation . I'll experiment more tomorrow. In bright sunlight the AF should be better.
Neil

Nikon D3s and Nikon 500/4 AFS VR lens and Nikon TC 20E 111

Attachments

• gb thrush male imm water 2x_DSC9374.jpg
    gb thrush male imm water 2x_DSC9374.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 129
  • japanese white-eye 2x_DSC9283.jpg
    japanese white-eye 2x_DSC9283.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 141
  • pale thrush fem 2x_DSC9336.jpg
    pale thrush fem 2x_DSC9336.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 129
Nice pics Neil,

Was that shot off a tripod?? WOW 1000mm @ f8. Thats hectic and the quality is more than exceptable. Wonder how that newTC would perform on my old 400f2.8??

Regards

Nice pics Neil,

Was that shot off a tripod?? WOW 1000mm @ f8. Thats hectic and the quality is more than exceptable. Wonder how that newTC would perform on my old 400f2.8??

Regards

I was using a light weight tripod which I'm going to upgrade tomorrow for more stable video.
It should do a good job on the 400/2.8 with reasonable AF. I'm thinking of either a 400/2.8 or 600/4 myself for my birthday next month.
Neil.

Here is a shot (from reasonable range - 30 feet +/-), while set up in a blind in Thailand.
lens was tripod mounted and i used a remote shutter, not bad but not great.

Attachments

• 5340727844_cd67f58f49_b.jpg
    5340727844_cd67f58f49_b.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 141
Here is a shot (from reasonable range - 30 feet +/-), while set up in a blind in Thailand.
lens was tripod mounted and i used a remote shutter, not bad but not great.

What shutter speed / ap did you use?

Finally got my hands on a new Mk111 to try yesterday thanks to a fellow BF'er.
We conducted a few tests taking pictures of a static object, all at the same focal length, same ISO, same white balance, same matrix metering, same 21 point dynamic focus points, all shots were tripod mounted, the same distance from the subject. All shots were left untouched, no further processing than that set within the camera.
Both the 300mm f2.8Vr and the 500mm f4Vr were used with a D300s and all three current model TC's.
The only variance from picture to picture was the shutter speed, to try and get the same exposure for each shot. There was also the slight possibility of variable camera shake as a remote wasn't used.
Obviously the initial image differs from shot to shot but what was really surprising was that when you crop the image so that the subject matter was the same size for each picture no matter which TC was used it soon becomes apparent was the difference when shown on the web is marginal.
In other words, the image taken with the 500mm plus 2.0TC was very similar to the one taken without a TC but cropped by 66% on NX2.
What this tells me is that, for the internet, it makes little difference using a TC !
The one thing relating to the image however is that when you crop it, it becomes smaller so for printing purposes it might matter.
In terms of using the TC's AF was quicker on a naked lens, then the 1.4 but strangely the 2.0 was a bit quicker than the 1.7.
AF was possible with the 2.0TC but was very slow for non contrasting subjects and would prove very problematic for BIF .
My tests must be flawed somewhere as what it seems to say is that a TC is a waste of time, just crop. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
I could show a series of photo's but as the difference isn't apparent there is little point. If you have a TC try it yourself and see what you find.
cheers Dave

so having got a Mk 3 I stuck in on my 400/2.8 yesterday and had a play, here's a few early morning warm images taken at relatively slow shutter speeds, have loads more to look at at varying ranges in varying light, and actually tried BIF shots as well so that my prove interesting. I've left all the exif data on so you can see but have put the basics in the title. Happy fot any comments.

Oh yes one quirk, having sorted my images in focal length which I never do, I find that rightly my tc20 shows 800mm, my 1.7tc shows 950mm? weird or what.

Just added the yellowhammer, its about the longest shot I took yesterday and whilst I wouldn't use an image that is cropped so heavily, guestimate that only 1/8 of the original is used it does show what the combo is capable of. Not the easiest subject to record in that sunlight either.

Attachments

• test 3.jpg
    test 3.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 106
  • test 2.jpg
    test 2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 112
  • test 1.jpg
    test 1.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 114
  • test 4.jpg
    test 4.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Sreiously Duke,

Are you happy with those???

Regards

Why wouldn't I be? if you wish to critique feel free to do so, apart from the yellowhammer which is a major crop.
Have you anything I should compare them against?

Why wouldn't I be? if you wish to critique feel free to do so, apart from the yellowhammer which is a major crop.
Have you anything I should compare them against?

Honestly, I thought they where a little soft, and looking at the pics on your web page (which are all pin sharp) it just raised a question.

Regards

same pictures on website as on here, dont know why they would appear soft unless BF does something weird to em

same pictures on website as on here, dont know why they would appear soft unless BF does something weird to em

Dunno, Still looks a little soft to me, but then I am a pixle peeper..... Some of your other pics on your web are considerably sharper....

Regards

Would the new Nikon 2x mark111 tc fit on a Sigma lens ?, or do they have the lugs on which prevent fitting on non Nikon lenses.

Another example - now that I think I'm getting better with the 300mm F2.8 plus the MkIII attached. So attached is 600mm f8 ISO 200 hand held. I'm sure with a tripod it would have been even sharper but its not too shabby. I also did some ISO 2500 work with the same combination, then dropped the TC and went to ISO 800 [in a dark scottish pine forest] with the same subjects, the 600mm with the TCIII gave much better shots than the bare 300mm allowing for cropping.

Attachments

• DSC_1986.jpg
    DSC_1986.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back