• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E1 4/3 System (1 Viewer)

It's good to hear of your experience with the two camera systems. I've always shot RAW with the E1 but when I tried my friend's 20D I shot JPEG. That probably enhanced the difference in quality. Anyway, I'll see how it all goes. Interest in brisk on eBay so it's a bit late to turn back now... ;)

Tim Taylor said:
It's good to hear of your experience with the two camera systems. I've always shot RAW with the E1 but when I tried my friend's 20D I shot JPEG. That probably enhanced the difference in quality. Anyway, I'll see how it all goes. Interest in brisk on eBay so it's a bit late to turn back now... ;)

For most of the time I stuck to RAW with the 30D - the bundled software is great for quick tweaks. I have'nt felt the need with the e-1 as the results are so good straight from camera normally. I would think you'll have no problem selling your gear - there always seems to be a shortage of the better lenses and the 50-200 is a brilliant [if not ultra fast focussing] lens.

I've got the E500 as my first and, as yet, only DSLR. Only a 50mm macro lens aside from the 2 kit lenses. My question is this...how significant is the difference in clarity & sharpness between the kit lenses and one of the other, higher quality lenses?

I'm just not seeing the level of sharpness that I'd expect, even when mounted on a tripod and fired with the remote...

"I'm just not seeing the level of sharpness that I'd expect, even when mounted on a tripod and fired with the remote..."

I'd agree that the 50-200 is a great lens. There's a link to one of my pictures taken with this below. I was pleased with this for sharpness and if you search the BF gallery looking for shots taken with this lens you'll see plenty of excellent shots. I can't comment on the kit lenses as I have no experience of them. With the 1.4 x tele-extender you get a better focal length for bird shots but lose a stop.

Hope this helps.

Tim
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111094/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back