• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Original Leitz Trinovid - differing eye cups, same specs (1 Viewer)

Rathaus

Hi all

I'm looking at some of the first Leitz trinivids in 10x40 with the big 122/1000 fov. They come with hard small eye relief eye cups. I now notice that the same specced model (not B), perhaps a bit later, came with short softer rubber eyecups. Has anybody used both? Are they interchangeable?

I have noticed that this is also the case with the first Leitz Trinovid 8x32..first short plastic eyecups...later or for a short while they (150/1000m) were available with the short soft rubber cups as well.

Which are preferable? The eye relief must be quite short.

I note that the first Leitz Trinovid, the 6x24 only offered the short hard cups.

Regards

Rathaus

Hello.
From my recollection I think the B designation appeared in about 1975, I have a pair of 10 x 40 s with the "soft" rubber eyecups that were bought in 1972. I don't know about interchangable eyecups. I did have a job as a student in a camera/optics shop at about that time, but don't remember anything about this.
jim48

The B models had eye relief suitable for spectacles wearers and so the eyecups were long rubber ones that could be folded down. These cracked over time so were removable in order that they could be replaced. Harder plastic or hardened rubber eyecups were available for non-spectacle wearers who didn't like the softer rubber ones.

The pre-B models ie the earlier ones that were unsuitable for spectacles obviously didn't have foldable eyecups so it makes sense that they were not 'user-replaceable' parts.

Lee

The pre-B models ie the earlier ones that were unsuitable for spectacles obviously didn't have foldable eyecups so it makes sense that they were not 'user-replaceable' parts.

As stated in the parallel thread, there were at least a few "non-B" Trinovids made with "short" rubber eye cups. They fold back just over ½ cm, so it's not much. But it's better than nothing. ;)

As stated in the parallel thread, there were at least a few "non-B" Trinovids made with "short" rubber eye cups. They fold back just over ½ cm, so it's not much. But it's better than nothing. ;)

Hej Etiennef

But if the optics aren't designed to provide the necessary eye relief then the spectacle wearer will not see the full FOV, but I understand that at least you can see something.

Hejda Lee

Hej Etiennef

But if the optics aren't designed to provide the necessary eye relief then the spectacle wearer will not see the full FOV, but I understand that at least you can see something.

Hejda Lee

Indeed, it's much better than if not rolling them down at all, although not a full view.
In fact, trying them with my wifes glasses I would estimate I get about 80% of the full view with them rolled down, and about 30% with them rolled up.

Anyhow, my guess would be that the added benefit for spectacle wearers was not the primary reason for introducing the rubber eye cups. Most likely it was for comfort, and the less limited view when using glasses was just a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back