• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apples to Oranges: Maven B3 8x30 vs. Conquest HD 8x42 (2 Viewers)

Samolot

Hi all,

As an owner of the B5 15x56 and having had a chance to compare it to the Conquest HD 15x56, I decided to do the same with a Maven against my Conquest HD 8x42. I initially bought the Maven B1.2 8x42 but returned it because at the same price point, I was not blown away by it in comparison to the Conquests. The Conquests had punchier contrast and the narrow field of view didn't bother me as much anymore from a price point perspective.

Having heard amazing things about the B3 series, I decided to give it a try. Before I dive into the brief comparison, I just want to give Maven tech support a shoutout. The first copy I got had an oddity where the edge performance was not the same. The right seemed to be softer earlier in the field of view than the left side. A minor nuisance but Maven offered to pay for return shipping to check out the binocular. The tech reached out to me who seemed very knowledgeable and essentially agreed. They then cherry picked an exemplary copy that underwent additional QC testing on their collimator and hands-on testing to ensure that the copy they send back to me would be better (not sure how much of this is true) - but my oh my - when I got the second copy, I was thoroughly impressed.

Right, back to the original subject -

I know - comparing an 8x30 to an 8x42 is not really a fair comparison, but this is what I have at hand. I used to compare binoculars from "memory", but I learned that is impossible without going back and forth in real time.

Both binoculars are supremely well made. The Conquests have thick rubber armoring that I have always been impressed with. They are simply a rugged binocular. The Mavens appear well made, but armoring is not as thick and I would fear dropping them. The focuser on the Mavens is firmer, but very smooth. The conquests is much lighter, but very snappy - snappier than the Maven's. The eyecups are more robust on the Mavens (rubber coated metal) than the conquests (plastic). The eyecup rim on the conquests is thinner which makes for easier eye placement and more comfortable viewing. The Maven eyecups must have undergone a change because they do not collapse in like the prior reports I read on here - they snap into place and stay there. The Maven eyecups do not extend as far as I would like but I quickly got used to placing them over my brow just right to get the full view. I tried placing a rubber O-ring which extended the cup by 1-2 mm which greatly increased comfort but the eyecup would not collapse smoothly so I got right of them. This does not need to be mentioned, but the B3's are significantly smaller and lighter. They are indeed a grab and go.

Regarding the view - Maven claims to have a very bright and color neutral view. This is true. I was really impressed that despite the cloudy conditions, the Mavens continued to show a bright cloudy sky, whereas the conquests just dimmed the color a bit - the Zeiss favors blue/green colors and I think this may be the reason. The colors are very neutral with the Maven. Colors pop more a bit with the Zeiss. Sharpness is equal on both, but contrast again was better in the Conquests. CA was a tiny bit better controlled with the Mavens - but I really had to push the binoculars hard to find any - theyre both really good.

Overall this is just the start of my comparison as I hope I can test them out in sunny conditions tomorrow, but I had great time with both of them today. They're both great optics.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• 6Z3A9664.JPG
    6Z3A9664.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 6Z3A9668.JPG
    6Z3A9668.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 6Z3A9669.JPG
    6Z3A9669.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
The clouds finally cleared up for the morning and had a chance to do some comparisons in the sun. Lets get right to it:

The Conquests: I know these binoculars well. The ergonomics for a full size binocular are some of the best I have seen. The eye placement and comfort with the extended eye cups are really a treat. At this price point, I am actually really impressed with the sharpness and contrast. Things just punch out (like pine needles especially). In less hard viewing conditions, CA is very hard to find. Color rendition prefers yellows and greens. I thought the blues would punch out more, but they don't which is what I thought was going to happen after reading rodger vines' review on them claiming a cooler color tone. Really the only knock on these are the narrower field of view and narrow AFOV.

The Mavens: A new and delightful addition. For 8x30's, they sure punch above their weight class. They offer a big view and full size performance. Compared to the conquests, the colors, particularly green and yellow, don't pop. They offer a much more neutral color rendition. One thing I noticed was that the blue sky appeared genuinely blue, wheres the conquests dulled it a bit which was interesting. I dont know if the conquests claim to have a flat field, but the field was flatter on the conquests than on the Mavens. There is a fair amount of distortion towards the periphery that contributes to significantly worse edge performance than the Conquests. However what you get is a much wider field of view and AFOV. CA was non existent today in the Mavens as well. They are also sharp but dont have the contrast of the conquests. Is there such a thing as too much contrast? I think so - yesterday afternoon I was observing as serial number on a tractor across a pond. The numbers were clear on the Mavens but on the conquests the edges were popping out and almost blurred with the neighboring numbers in my eyes. I made sure the diopter was not the issue - it was an interesting phenomenon, one that has almost no impact on daily use, just something I noted.

So overall, kinda hard to decide which one is better. I think the Conquests perform very well for the price point (~900-1000$), and the Mavens exceeded my expectations at their price point (~500$). The Maven B3's are truly a gem in the Maven Line up. I am not surprised they frequently run out of stock. I attached some photos from my testing. The pictures featuring the view from the ocular should be used as a demonstration of the field of view and AFOV - please ignore the color rendition as the clouds were flying across and lighting conditions changed second to second, and also the iPhone auto-enhances every photo.

Last photo is the B3 next to its older brother, the B5.

Cheers

Attachments

• 6Z3A9682.JPG
    6Z3A9682.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 6Z3A9683.JPG
    6Z3A9683.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 6Z3A9687.JPG
    6Z3A9687.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 6Z3A9688.JPG
    6Z3A9688.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
Really interesting. Being a great fan of the 8x30 lightweight configuration (Nikon M7, MHG, Opticron Traveller 8x32, Kite Lynx, etc.) and having had the Conquest 8x42 for a couple of years, this comparison was much appreciated.

I've always wanted to try the Maven, but they're not that easy to source (at a reasonable price, that is) to the EU, let alone get the amazing deals you can get over there. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any opportunity to grab one.

Love mine! Yareli you should contact Maven directly. Bet they would ship them for you. Also they sell them on Amazon so you may be able to get a pair that way.

@Upland Thanks for the tip. Before Brexit, some Maven models could be found in the .co.uk website of Amazon, and thus bought from the EU. However, now there are very few, and importing them to the EU is again subject to customs and import fees, just like bringing them from the US. That's the reason a "value king" such as the 8x30 seems to be, would end up being quite pricey once imported this side of the Pond. But I'll check on this lead. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back