• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80ED equinox 80 megrez 90 (1 Viewer)

piero

hi,
Thanks to the forum prople I started the new telescope photography adventure.
In the last year I tested three optics. I started with Skywatcher 80ED and I bought an used equinox 80 ED, and finally I bought used a william optics megrez 90mm f/6.9.

After some tests it appears to me that the SW 80ED was the sharpest, followed by the
WO megrez and finally the equinox. However, they were very close indeed.
In the field, I used almost the combination of telescope+kenko 1.4X PRO 300 DG and sometimes a 21mm extension tube after the TC to achieve higher magnification.

What I can say is that in the field I cannot distinguish which ones of these telescope
is the best. But I found equinox and Megrez much simpler to move. The equinox is only 37cm long and the megrez is 43cm.

For this reason I kept the Megrez 90mm f/6.9.

I can say that all the three are as sharp if not better than my preferred canon 400mm L f/5.6 lens. Some results of my pictures taken with different cameras and all the three scopes can be seen here:
http://www.biocomp.unibo.it/piero/AT/

Piero

hi,
I can say that all the three are as sharp if not better than my preferred canon 400mm L f/5.6 lens. Some results of my pictures taken with different cameras and all the three scopes can be seen here:
http://www.biocomp.unibo.it/piero/AT/

Piero

You have very nice work in you gallery. Well done.

Quite frankly I would be surprised if the 400mm were better than these scopes. Don't get me wrong, that is one of my favourite bird lenses, I know it's sharp, have a spectacular AF and it's very light and easy to use (I used one myself on loan), but optically I still bet on the scopes ;)

You have very nice work in you gallery. Well done.

Quite frankly I would be surprised if the 400mm were better than these scopes. Don't get me wrong, that is one of my favourite bird lenses, I know it's sharp, have a spectacular AF and it's very light and easy to use (I used one myself on loan), but optically I still bet on the scopes ;)

Thanks a lot!
I noticed, that the canon seems work better at closer distance. When the pictures are taken from 30-100meters the scopes (even the 500mm equinox) are sharper.
However, this is a very subjective perception.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back