• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glaucous-winged V Kumlien's (1 Viewer)

bonyman

Hi,

At Cromane in Kerry, Ireland a couple of days ago I saw the gull which has been causing so much confusion. They now think that it is a Kumliens rather that a Glaucous winged. I hope these images help with the IDing of this gull.

http://earlywormbirder.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• KumliensGull.jpg
    KumliensGull.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Kumlien'sGull.jpg
    Kumlien'sGull.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Kumliensgull3.jpg
    Kumliensgull3.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 75
  • KumliensGull4.jpg
    KumliensGull4.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 115
Looks good for Kumlien's/Iceland Gull. Glaucous-winged has never (?) been recorded in Ireland, I think you're thinking of Glaucous Gull, which would be larger, bulkier and have a bicolored bill.

I'm not really sure of the status of glaucoides/kumlien's in Ireland, maybe someone more familiar with the two give you some advice on that front.

Last edited:
It does look a bit bulky for Iceland / Kumliens but it seems within normal individual variation. By the pattern of the tips of the remiges I'd say it was on the Iceland end of intermediates. Glaucous-winged is being recorded over this side of the Atlantic and, if one turns up anywhere in these islands, theres a good chance it'll be in Ireland.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back