• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pratincole ID help (Chobe River, Botswana) (1 Viewer)

Cobalt

Hi everyone. Could I please get an ID on these pratincoles? Saw them on the Chobe River in Botswana a few years ago in October on different days. I’m trying to distinguish between black-winged and collared pratincoles. These could be both or either one!

227AAFBB-4425-445E-AECB-DB1BB1EF2F95.jpeg
^ This individual was from the first day. I'm thinking it could be a Collared Pratincole due to having more red on the bill and the streamers appear longer than the wing feathers from what I can gather.

0F0CCA41-50D3-4D64-A168-82330E05C035.jpeg
^ This image( two shots of the same individual) from the second day looks more like a Black-winged pratincole to me because the wing feathers look longer and the bill doesn't have as much red.

I could be wrong! Any help would be appreciated thank you.

There both look like collared to me. The apparent difference in red is just due to viewing angle. Back is not dark, red extensive, streamers long
Is there a resident population, Oct must be a bit early for Collared to be in Sub-Saharan Africa?

Is there a resident population, Oct must be a bit early for Collared to be in Sub-Saharan Africa?
Collared breeds locally and can be seen year-round. Black-winged is unlikely in "summer" (=local winter) (May - August), but in October, both are there. In Botswana, Black-winged a present in numbers from September to April.

I agree OP bird looks like Collared.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back