• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (4 Viewers)

Personally I`d rather they copied the diopter on the Nikon HG which is the most exquisite I`v ever encountered. Crisp click when pulled up and pushed back, no chance of drifting. Simple is often best.

I agree, I find the under the focuser knob EDG diopter ring harder to access. It's a smooth metal ring with shallow indents that are difficult enough to grip barehanded, are impossible to grip with gloves. The pull-up ring on the HG is easy to access and lock.

I think the idea with the EDG I was to use pull-off central focusers like the Swaro EL (now also adopted on the SLC), Leica and the Zeiss FL. If Nikon wanted to look like it was competing with the Big Three, it should have a focuser like they have.

The SLCneu's push and turn diopter was the best of all, IMO. But they changed that to a pull out focuser like the EL, probably for the same reason, to make it look more upscale.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," is not an axiom of the premium sport optics companies (nor of the auto industry). Sometimes it's merely "change for change's sake."

Brock

HT vs SF?

why get one vs the other?

edj

Thats a big question Ed and hard to answer until SF is available to try out.

HT handles beautifully but SF promises to be even better, but will it pass the 'feel up' test?

HT has a transparency and neutrality (to my eyes) that is superb, but then SF has a fantastic FOV and field flattening probably without RB effects if Holger's latest paper is anything to go on.

HT focuses quite close at 1.9 m but 1.5 m is the gold standard and SF has got it.

We will just have to wait and see... :t:

Lee

HT vs SF?

why get one vs the other?

edj

Mike explained that, though something might have been lost in his use of marketing terms. What Zeiss has done is similar to what Swaro has, namely, offer two alphas with different features so that those who prefer one or the other have a choice.

If you like the Zeiss brand but prefer open bridge designs and flat fields like the EDG and SV EL, you can reach a bit deeper in those deep pockets to buy an SF.

Here's a post from the Zeiss SF Facebook page that exemplifies this:

"Grhm Fld My take: that sounds way too defensive. I applaud this design move. As a Swarovski owner I actually preferred the Zeiss optics, but the ergonomics of Swarovski EL's won me over. June 4 at 1:44pm"

If you prefer a more traditional approach and lower price, you can buy the SLC or HT (the SLC is significantly cheaper than the HT now in its 2nd iteration).

Can you imagine if auto companies only offered one premium car?

My only gripe is the price- $2600/$2700 is outrageous for a pair of binoculars. But like everything else, prices go up and as long as people keep buying, they will continue to rise.

Me, I'm opening my window and shouting at the top of my lungs:

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! ;)

Brock

Last edited:
Brock

Here are some stereos to go with your new battery of Victory SF binos. You will probably also need a Rolls to run around and check all of this out.:king:

http://www.higherfi.com/million/

Mike explained that, though something might have been lost in his use of marketing terms. What Zeiss has done is similar to what Swaro has, namely, offer two alphas with different features so that those who prefer one or the other have a choice.

If you like the Zeiss brand but prefer open bridge designs and flat fields like the EDG and SV EL, you can reach a bit deeper in those deep pockets to buy an SF.

If you prefer a more traditional approach and lower price, you can buy the SLC or HT (the SLC is significantly cheaper than the HT now in its 2nd iteration).

Can you imagine if auto companies only offered one premium car?

My only gripe is the price- $2600/$2700 is outrageous for a pair of binoculars. But like everything else, prices go up and as long as people keep buying, they will continue to rise.

Brock

Brock

Chill, Brockster. Do some deep Tai Chi breathing, take your EII/SE´s out for a walk, look at stuff and say to your Inner Self "These binoculars do absolutely everything a 2,700-dollar bin can do, and in some ways better". There are many True Paths; opening the window and screaming at the neighbours is not one of them;).

I like. Me order. 444 FOV, 92% transmission and Swarovision edge sharpness and pretty too. Whooooooooooo!

Top respect to you, Dennis, you´re first in at the deep end when everyone else is talking about the water temperature!:t:

Chill, Brockster. Do some deep Tai Chi breathing, take your EII/SE´s out for a walk, look at stuff and say to your Inner Self "These binoculars do absolutely everything a 2,700-dollar bin can do, and in some ways better". There are many True Paths; opening the window and screaming at the neighbours is not one of them;). ....:

My billybhors were outside all day with their radio blasting, their kids screaming, and their dog barking, I doubt if they would even hear my yelling, but I hope that Zeiss and Swaro will, because I suspect I'm not alone in my outrage.

Let's hear it in Atlanta, let's hear it in Baton Rouge, let's hear it across the Atlantic!

All I know is that first, you got to get mad...

Brock

How is the light transmission figures comparison between the new SF and the EL-SV?

The Zeiss SF 8x42 is 92% and the Swarovski 8.5x42 SV is 87.8% according to Allbinos so slight advantage to Zeiss.

According to allbino's, the Swarovski 10x42 SV is 90.8%, and the 10x42 SLC-Neu is 92%.
If you follow the lynx :cat: you'll see that the 10x42 SV is ~ 94% @ 425Nm ...... if the Zeiss curve drops away on either side of the peak as has been typical of their products, then maybe it's slight advantage Swarovski in the 10x ????!

So while the brightness difference between the Z.8x SF and the S.8.5x SV might be visible during daylight in practice, the 10x SV's would seem to throw a spanner in the marketing claims works! |8.|

It will be interesting to see the transmission curve of the SF ...... anybody have any snippets ....... Temmie ?

Either way, it will be very interesting to see how the claimed 120m (360ft) field in the 10x SF measures out in practice ...... very interesting indeed ......

Chosun :gh:

that should be a very nice visible advantage at 4.2% better...
The fact is these new Zeiss 8x42 SF will most likely be the best birding binoculars available. We are talking a 7X FOV on an 8x magnification. That is awesome with Swarovision edge sharpness and no RB. These could be the roofs that convert all the porro maniacs. Even Broc if he could afford them. The fact is IF you can afford these you are looking at the new benchmark in birding binoculars. If you got the money get your order in.

Dennis,

If the best birders use them they will be the best birding binoculars but those fortunate souls probably won't have to buy them like every day ordinary birders will.

Never the less I hope it helps improve your life list! After you have used it for a year will you give us a cost per bird figure? You know; the number of bird species you counted divided into the price of the binocular.

Bob

For transmission, I think that zeiss claims maximum transmission, and not mean transmission. Hope that reviews and comparisons come early, but I assume that zeiss T* will cause peak transission in green part of spectrum, and lower transmission in red part, causing "blue bias" like previous. But maybe not and colors will be balanced, also hope. Also I think that EL SV is now nearly 5 year old, and think that SW is not sleeping, and hope that will "strike back" with something new in EL line.
Seems that competition in Flat Field will be in future even harder..

Looking forward for reviews and comparisons.

BR/ Kestrel

Lets not get carried away, if the birding world is fortunate there might be another "slightly" better choice in cutting edge roofs.

As for the porro maniacs..............well no roof at any price is going to offer a porro view, simple as.

For transmission, I think that zeiss claims maximum transmission, and not mean transmission. Hope that reviews and comparisons come early, but I assume that zeiss T* will cause peak transission in green part of spectrum, and lower transmission in red part, causing "blue bias" like previous. But maybe not and colors will be balanced, also hope. Also I think that EL SV is now nearly 5 year old, and think that SW is not sleeping, and hope that will "strike back" with something new in EL line.
Seems that competition in Flat Field will be in future even harder..

Looking forward for reviews and comparisons.

BR/ Kestrel

Kestrel,

Yes. The 92% transmission figure quoted by Zeiss for the SF would be the peak, or ~ daylight figure (won't know for sure until we see the graph). ie. around a wavelength of 555nm (green). Typically the T* coatings cause gentle drop off on either side, so colour rendition should be neutral, and pretty good. Not great news for those who like a "red shift" and everything to look like it is being viewed on Mars :-@ -
but great for the rest of us. :t:

You are right! Swarovski is not sleeping ..... :gn:

I wonder what the Austrian for "Carbon Fibre" is ...... "Hasta la Vista -- Ba-by!" |8)| or some such |8.| :king:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back