• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin Hoods bay. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

Hi all, Well as promised I said I would report back on our trip to Robin Hoods Bay. It is a beautiful place and is like going back in time when you are in the little narrow streets. Famous or infamous for it's smuggling past it was like being in a film set walking around this little village. I have included some photograph's that will hopefully convey the atmosphere. The first three are taken within the confines of the 'bottom' village, showing the narrow streets where, apparantley the smuggled contraband would be passed from window to window, door to door, through secret hatches and passage ways up and away to the top. The forth photo is taken from the beach and cleary shows the bottom section of the village and the few houses at the very top. The last photo is of a few residents on the same beach and they were clearly unimpressed with my photograpic efforts.
'Our Gert' and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary in a delightfull little restaurant called the 'Wayfarer' at the top village and is well worth a visit for anyone thinking of going, the food was excellent! Our two children some how found out where we were going to eat and we had a lovely surprise when the waiter arrived with a bottle of champers and a card. 'Our Gert' shed a tear but obviously I'm far to macho for that sort of thing....
The following day we had a good coastal walk along the 'Cleaveland way' from a place called 'Runswick bay' to 'Staithes', 'Our Gert' was like a rat up a drain pipe again, I swear if that girl walkes any faster I'm gonna have to put on a set of rein's for her!
On the penultimate day we had a ride to a place called 'Bempton cliffs' which is a rspb reserve between Filey and Bridlington. What a day that turned out to be! We saw Guillemot, Gannet, Herring Gull, and Best of all Puffins! I will post some photo's of the said birds on another thread for anyone who would like a look.
Just a word of warning to anyone that maybe thinking of a visit, this place is hilly!!!

Attachments

• DSCN3189-10037.JPG
    DSCN3189-10037.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN3189-10038.JPG
    DSCN3189-10038.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3189-10039.JPG
    DSCN3189-10039.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN3189-10040.JPG
    DSCN3189-10040.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN3189-10031.JPG
    DSCN3189-10031.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I know Bempton very well. Glad you enjoyed it! I don't suppose things'll be in full swing yet, but i'm glad you got to see the puffins and gannets.

I've been to Robin Hoods Bay plenty of times too. It's a great place. Sounds like you've had a good time!

Hi Charlie,
It does look a delightful place to stay, maybe I'll get there before the grim reaper gets me. LOL Glad you enjoyed you anniversary, congratulations, and that you behaved in a true macho way. Bempton is always good for a few sea birds, our group is going there later in the year.
George

Hi Charlie.
I'm pleased you had such a good time in a great place. Get to Bempton in late May early June if you can; that's when the breeding will be in full swing, and, when the place is magical.
"....this place is hilly!!! Hence my warning about taking oxygen.

Your pics revived some lovely memories for me.

All the best.
Baz.

Thanks Charlie for those lovely photos, you've brought back some wonderful memories for me too! Glad you both enjoyed your stay there, and your anniversary.
Love the photos on the other thread too, Puffins are such cute looking birds!
All the Best Charlie,

Hi Charlie,

A lovely report and so well described that I could almost 'see' those smugglers ferrying contraband along the streets, especially in that very narrow street in the 4th pic. I can see why people have such a love for the area, it's beautiful.

Some lovely Bird shots too Charlie, especially the one below of what look to be Purple Sandpipers as well as what I'm fairly sure are Redshanks on the other photo thread; beautiful shots of lovely Waders. You've also reminded me of the joy that Terry & I received from the Gannets last year, wonderful Birds.

I'm so pleased that you and "your Gert" had such a wonderful time together at such a very special time and place, obviously. She's allowed to shed a tear, bless her, I always do at such times - so you're not alone with your sentiment Gert.

All the best for you both.

Sue.

Hi Charlie
Great set of pictures there! Glad you had such a lovely time, Gert's a lucky girl to have such a caring husband and offspring.
The photo of "Sunny Place" reminds me very much of some of the streets in Rye, which also happens to be built on a hill and is famous for it's smuggling activities!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back