• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FH 101 Exploding Release Lever (1 Viewer)

RICHAT

Rich
I am not too impressed with my 2 year-old FH 101 tripod head, which owing to illness I have only used about 6 times or so. On releasing the scope the other day the lever "exploded" into 2 pieces plus a small ball bearing which shot onto the floor. I have reassembled the lever and am wondering if superglueing the parts together again would do the trick. The lever is not really broken; the bonding or fusion between the lever sections has clearly failed. I read on a US bird forum that this seems to be a common problem, and that Swarovski have now brought out a DH 101 head as a replacement presumably with a superior build quality more in keeping with their scopes. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I attempt repair or maybe post it to Swarovski UK (address?), or else to the original dealer. The Swaro website is not very clear on this, lacking tech support links, but appears to suggest the latter course of action.

Last edited:
I'd send it to Swarovski, they should repair it for you at no charge. I have the same head which I bought second hand at a very good price. If I'd have paid the full price I wouldn't be happy. It's not a bad head but I'm thinking of replacing it with a Manfrotto 128 head, which is a third of the price & a smoother head IMO.

Neil.

Update - Swarovski replaced the head with a new one via the dealer. All in all excellent service. I just hope the replacement holds up better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back