• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Tripod and what Tripod head for Birding? (1 Viewer)

Alex_

Germany
Hello everyone :),

As a relative newcomer to the field of birding, I am seeking advice on equipment selection, particularly with regards to my ZEISS Harpia 95 spotting scope, which I purchased second-hand. Currently, I am using an older tripod of unknown brand which I already had at home, accompanied by a basic 2-way-pan head, if I remember correctly. However, I am looking to upgrade my setup and would appreciate guidance on the following inquiries:

Tripod:

1. I have come across several recommendations, both here and elsewhere, regarding the preference for flip locks. However, I am concerned about the potential noise they may generate, possibly disturbing the birds. Can anyone shed light on this matter?

2. Regarding tripod weight, I am curious about its significance. If I opt for a lightweight tripod, would it be feasible to counterbalance the lack of stability by hanging my bag from it? Despite the weight of the Harpia, I would prefer a tripod that is as lightweight as possible. Would attaching my bag to the central column provide the necessary stability, or should I initially seek a slightly heavier tripod to accommodate the Harpia's weight?

3. From the perspective of birders, what are the most critical attributes to consider when selecting a tripod?

Tripod Head:

1. It appears that the majority of birders utilize either 2-way-pan heads or fluid heads. However, I am curious if anyone has experience using a ball head or joystick head. I assume they may offer easier handling, yet I have not encountered anyone who employs them for birding purposes. If anyone has insights to share on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Similarly, I am interested to know if anyone has utilized a geared three-way-pan head for birding and can provide feedback on its suitability.

3. My current 2-way-pan head exhibits a slight movement of one to two millimeters when released, which is quite bothersome. Could someone please advise me on how to rectify this issue and ensure a more stable setup?

Thank you in advance for any guidance or suggestions you can provide.

Greetings from Costa Rica.
Either for birding or photography. I have seen people doing the same mistake over and over. They think about the weight of the tripod more than how stable can be. Stability for capturing an image regardless if you are using a Z9 with an 800 mm or digiscoping with a mobile.
About gimbals: A bit harder to agree with anyone, but I have to say buy a video head rather than a photo one. The smoothness of the rotation plus the fact that can be tilted with a greater gradient control is just what is need it. Recommend checking out Feisol gear. Their tripods are super capable of holding tons of weight and surprising light.
I hope this helps you.
Randall Ortega
www.naturegroupcr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back