• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video of Mink predating Kingfisher and Sand Martin nests (1 Viewer)

Andy Holt

Yesterday morning a Mink predated my local Kingfisher's nest and a Sand Martin nest adjacent to it. What worries me the most is the ease with which it accesses the nests 4-5ft up on a bank face.

View clip here: www.wildlifelens.co.uk

I was also amazed that it could access that nest. They've had a really bad time, haven't they. Any luck with the possibility of trapping the mink?

I have to say that I am against local Mink trapping initiatives. All they do is provide a brief interval before recolonisation from elsewhere, so one either gives up or is committed to constant killing with no possibility of a real resolution.

If a national Mink extermination project was proposed I would back it, but local interference borders on animal cruelty precisely because it does not envisage an end state.

Kingfishers nationally have endured the presence of Mink for years, so local nest losses are not a reason for trapping.

Good film btw.

John

I'm currently still discussing options with the land owners and local wildlife trust, I've also asked the Environment Agency what the national view is on Mink if there is a view.

It's true that mink trapping has to be maintained to keep an area clear, but I disagree that it's not worth it. Trapping is the only thing currently protecting many of the remaining water vole colonies and trapping even one mink prevents the predation and suffering of a large number of other small mammals and birds in any given area.

Before I saw how easily the mink was able to access the 2 nests I was leaning towards allowing the habitat to find its own balance, but seeing this has moved me back towards considering trapping to be a worthwhile strategy.

No easy answer to this one I'm afraid.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back