• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attempting to help hurt bird; seeking advice (1 Viewer)

zverhope

United States
Hello,

I hope everyone's well, and let me start by saying that it's a pleasure to join the company of so many bird-minded folks.

I noticed a bird (a warbler?) in an odd state on the ground at the entrance to my building yesterday. I left it while leaving to get something at the grocery store, but then decided to move it onto the nearest bush after seeing someone come an inch from stepping on it upon returning. Three hours later, it was still in the very same state as I had left it: eyes closed, puffed up, laboriously breathing, and completely exposed. I knew it would be killed by a predator overnight if left, so decided to house it for the evening in a shoe box in my apartment.

I checked on the bird periodically overnight and it remained in mostly the same condition and position: eyes closed, labored breathing, not moving.

This morning I took the shoe box outside and opened it on a chair near to my back door on my deck. The bird is still immobile but seems a bit more alert, sometimes looking around, eyes now open, and even making an occasional sound. That said, it certainly hasn't recovered and seems uninterested in (or is unable to) fly away.

I'm not sure what to do from here--nor am I yet confident the bird will survive--but am wondering whether anyone had any advice on next steps. I have to leave for a few hours now and am thinking it best to leave the bird out back on my deck as it is now. There should be fewer predators - our back courtyard is blocked off and I've never seen any cats inside of it (apart from ours, which are exclusively indoors) - and I worry about leaving it in a box for 5–6 hours. (That said, I don't think it could fly away if it wanted to right now, so am uncertain whether there's a purpose to leaving it outside, apart from the fact that the bird seems a bit more alert than it does inside.)

Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated!

IMG_0918.jpg

Hi zverhope and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I think you should try to contact a vet or professional rehabber in your area. Vet's will normally provide free emergency treatment for wildlife.

Please let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

A warm welcome from me as well zverhope!

I wonder if it flew into a glass window. As Delia mentioned, I would definitely see if a Vet can take a look at it or do you have a humane society near you? Yes, please let us know how it works out. Good luck!

Many thanks for the welcome and feedback all!

I've just returned home and the the bird is doing a bit better, I think. We left a little soy sauce holder of water out in a canopied cat carrier and one of their claws is wrapped around the edge, indicating that they were likely drinking. They also seem a bit more alert; eyes a bit more open, although not yet completely responsive. Breathing still a bit labored. And no attempt at flying away yet, so looks like they'll be with me at least a little longer.

I took the advice on not providing food or water overnight. But, since they seem to have made use of the water, I'd also like to provide a bit of food if they want it. I've put a bit of my usual bird seed in a corner of the box they're staying in, but I'm not sure whether a bird this small can break and eat this seed. (They're certainly not one of the varieties that this food is designed to feed.) Again, I think this may be a warbler, but I'm far from an expert - and the picture is above. Does anyone know what this bird might eat? (And extra points if it's something one might find in a typical pantry (peanut butter?) as I'd likely be unable to access alternative bird food (like suet or bark butter) until tomorrow at the earliest.)

Hi,
Unfortunately when a bird reaches stage where u can pick it up, it's not got long to live;mostly.
In UK bird flu is decimating (mainly) sea and water birds. That appears to be fatal., don't know if it occurs near you?
Re food, my over wintering blackcap loved cheese. Insectivorous food for cage birds would be ideal. Dried mealworm sold as bird food would be ideal. Sometimes sold live, that would be better.never maggots.
Assume it's got a disease, so wash hands and sterilize surfaces to minimise possible transference.
Best of luck, if it was a window strike, after rest they sometimes recover.
Regards.

Welcome to the forum zverhope. Glad you're trying your possible best to give the bird life. If the process seems not to have much improvement, it would be best to get help of vet to take it up..

Yes, I had arranged to take the bird in to a vet this morning. Sadly, it passed away overnight. Nearly there, although I know it's unlikely that it would have survived even with further intervention.

Quite gutted, actually. As always, the peculiar charm of individuals overrides what I know about the cycles of life of the species and makes me pathetically sentimental.

Thanks to everyone here for your help. The bright side of this is that I'll know better what to do and who to call the next time that this happens.

Oh what a shame.

Thanks so much for letting us know - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back