• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help on Baby Starling (1 Viewer)

Leafray

Hi, recently after a local storm, a nestling starling came into my possession. It came with mites but I got rid of it with the advice of a local rehabilitator. I have had this starling for almost a week now and I have been feeding it dog food soaked in water, he/she has been eating the food successfully, well until today that is. Yesterday a friend of ours fed the starling a cricket from the pet store, after that, our starling no longer ate food with the same umph. Today, I managed to stuff a few nibbles down its throat but tonight after one dead cricket, it has stopped eating in a whole. The starling came to us as a nestling, tufts on head, pin feather stage, but now it is almost fully feathered and the beak is turning darker... Is there anything I can do to make it eat? Please answer ASAP for I don't want our " baby " to starve.
Thanks
PHP:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hi Leafray and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. It's very difficult to raise a young bird from this stage and the mortality rate is very high even in the hands of experts. Can you not pass the bird on to registered rehabbers?

Please let us know how you get on.

Hi Delia Todd
Thanks for the reply, our state dnr does not allow the rehabilitators in our area to take scare of starlings and sparrows for they are considered invasive species. The bird seems to want to eat a bit this morning, I fed him/her a piece of dog food and the bird went back to sleep. I usually would just contact our rehabilitator, but she seems to be really busy and never answers...
Thanks for the advice, I will look into it right now!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back