• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestling fell out of nest, I put it back, mama saw me do it but hasn't been back (2 Viewers)

mcdanimal

United States
A robin built two nests next to each other up under our covered patio. Today a nestling fell out of the one she laid eggs in. I put it back up in the second nest because the original was coming apart with no type of bowl to keep the nestling secure (no other nestlings up there or on the ground and I'm not sure how long it had been on the ground). Mama bird was watching me from a distance but she hasn't came back to the nest yet (been close to an hour). Will she check the nest again for her baby? The nestling was alive and stretching its neck for food when I was putting it back.

Hopefully if you stay away from the nest from here on, mama will keep an eye out for a bit and then hopefully come back and start tending to the nestlings. I'm really interested in the outcome so could you please keep us updated?

And by the way, a very warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum. I'll keep checking on your thread. Fingers crossed and prayers said for a good outcome.

Hi mcdanimal and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hopefully if you stay away from the nest from here on, mama will keep an eye out for a bit and then hopefully come back and start tending to the nestlings. I'm really interested in the outcome so could you please keep us updated?

And by the way, a very warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum. I'll keep checking on your thread. Fingers crossed and prayers said for a good outcome.
Hi, thank you. She has been back a couple of times but keeps looking on the ground for the baby and hasn't been up to the nest so that's concerning, she was about 40 feet away looking at me when I put it back in the nest. I contacted a local wild bird rescue but they're closed until tomorrow at 9am.

Update: Unfortunately the nestling passed overnight. I was going to take it to the bird rehab this morning if mama bird wasn't anywhere around but it was to late. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back