• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightroom 4 noise reduction (1 Viewer)

GraemeS

Sporadic user
I thought I'd write some tips I've just made up for noise reduction with bird photos.

The problem with bird photos is we need high detail on the bird feathers (so no NR), but often need to reduce noise in the background. So, we need to apply NR selectively. For the last couple of days I've been playing around with layers in Photoshop Elements and also in Remask. My limited skills gave me good results, but it was a painful process. So, I went back to look at Lightroom and within a couple of minutes got superior results. Not as good perhaps as others might get using better tools, but really good anyway.

The steps are simple.

1) Apply strong NR in Lightroom, with detail kept low, so the background looks how you want. I did luminance 69, detail 21 since totally removing all noise was less natural in this pic (7D, 70-300L @300mm, ISO 1600).
2) Brush over the whole of the bird, overflowing into the background a little, with a hard brush (no feather) set to -100 Noise, perhaps with a bit of sharpening and clarity if you like. I didn't here. Auto-mask should be off
3) zoom in, switch to the eraser brush with a small feather and turn Auto Mask on. Paint round the outside of the bird to remove the overflow. The program should paint round any fine feathers, rather than on them.

Depending on the edge, it may work better to do the edge from within the bird or from the outside. Within less time than it took me to write this, you can end up with very good results.

Any improvements to this are gratefully accepted.

100% crops
Original photo
6ea80b77-a059-2e49.jpg

Global NR. Note the lost detail. (I know I could have dialled back the NR, but then the background would have been noisy still.)
6ea80b77-a091-3508.jpg

Local NR, as described.
6ea80b77-a0ab-a52f.jpg

Attachments

• White-browed Shortwing (GraemeS).jpg
    White-browed Shortwing (GraemeS).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 171
  • No NR.jpg
    No NR.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Global NR 50.jpg
    Global NR 50.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 172
  • Local NR.jpg
    Local NR.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Here's my second go. Actually took a bit longer, about 8 minutes, as the Auto Mask was a bit confused bewteen the bird and background near the bottom.

The fluffy hair was more problematic too, but with my skillset it would take me a long, long time to get better results through fiddling with layers. And it's conveniently all in one program.

Attachments

• Snowy-browed Flycatcher- (GraemeS) No NR.jpg
    Snowy-browed Flycatcher- (GraemeS) No NR.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Snowy-browed Flycatcher- (GraemeS) with NR.jpg
    Snowy-browed Flycatcher- (GraemeS) with NR.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Snowy-browed Flycatcher with NR- (GraemeS).jpg
    Snowy-browed Flycatcher with NR- (GraemeS).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 197
Not checked, but will this work in the LR 3 as well as it looks very good from what I see with your photo.

I'm afraid not, the ability to use brushes for noise reduction is new in LR4. Actually, the improvements to NR in general were my main reason for upgrading.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back