• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide revised (1 Viewer)

According to a recent discussion on the Swedish Facebook site 'Vår Skådarvärld' NO Android version is under production, nor is it planned. The current IOS app is produced by Touchpress (www.touchpress.com) and it's quite evident from correspondence with them by members of 'Vår Skådarvärld' that neither Touchpress or the publishing house of Bonniers produce apps for Android.

// Jonas

Thank you for this very helpful input.
Looking at the Touchpress site makes it clear that this firm is Apple only. So if, as seems very likely, Touchpress has an exclusive with Bonniers on the Collins guide, there is no prospect of an Android version, unless someone else buys the rights from the current owners.

Birdwatch Bird Book of the Year...!?

I'm sure that most WP birders would agree that Svensson et al 1999 (Collins Bird Guide) is one of the most outstanding birding titles to be published in recent years.

But I'm nevertheless astonished that the very minor 2015 update/tweak of the 2009 2nd edition deserves to be awarded the accolade of Bird Book of the Year in the Birdwatch Birders' Choice Awards 2015...
With nearly half of all the votes, the updated second edition of the Collins Bird Guide was the runaway winner of Bird Book of the Year.

I'm sure that most WP birders would agree that Svensson et al 1999 (Collins Bird Guide) is one of the most outstanding birding titles to be published in recent years.

But I'm nevertheless astonished that the very minor 2015 update/tweak of the 2009 2nd edition deserves to be awarded the accolade of Bird Book of the Year in the Birdwatch Birders' Choice Awards 2015...

Who were the other contenders Richard?

Birdwatch Book of the Year

Who were the other contenders Richard?
Just looked back – the (four) contenders for 'Bird Book of the Year' were nominated in Birdwatch 281:
  • Challenge Series: Winter
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • Robins and Chats
  • Undiscovered owls
Surely the other three contenders were each infinitely more groundbreaking and deserving than a few minimal unannounced tweaks to a long-established favourite. But that's democracy... :smoke:

Last edited:
Just looked back – the (four) contenders for 'Bird Book of the Year' were nominated in Birdwatch 281:
  • Challenge Series: Winter
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • Robins and Chats
  • Undiscovered owls
Surely the other three contenders were each infinitely more groundbreaking and deserving than a few minimal unannounced tweaks to a long-established favourite. But that's democracy... :smoke:

As well as differences in scope between yourself and probably a majority of the voters ...

Niels

This new print is not a revised edition. It is just a new print. Bonnier Fakta, the swedish publisher, was kind enough to allow us including the new work (e.g. splitted subalpine warblers) recently published in the app. To make this possible without adding any new page we had to re-arrange the sylvia-pages and reduce the warbler intro.
The list of changes/improvements supplied by Collins consists of every little ’comma’ that’s been changed. That list is merely meant as a guideline for foreign translators, nothing else. Some example from that list; a figure that has been slightly moved to make better room for a caption or has been enlarged x % is called “new figure”, so it’s quite misleading for the presumtive buyer I would say.

I just found out that there is a new version (as of February) of the German edition (issued by Kosmos Verlag as the previous ones). And it is apparently called 3rd edition. Not sure whether it has more changes than the English Moltoni edition, but at least it is the first edition in German that has the Moltoni plates.

I just found out that there is a new version (as of February) of the German edition (issued by Kosmos Verlag as the previous ones). And it is apparently called 3rd edition. Not sure whether it has more changes than the English Moltoni edition, but at least it is the first edition in German that has the Moltoni plates.

Does anyone speak German........:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O

Only joking fellas, it will be the new language of commerce and birding after Brexit!

I wonder why they'll update the German version and not the English / French, was the German version updated when the rest were?

A

Last edited:
........., was the German version updated when the rest were?
A

Yes, the second German edition came out somewhat over a year after the English one. I suspect there was a need for reprinting now, and they realized they could generate more sales if they incorporated what had already been done for the English updated "reprint". It has certainly worked for me, I ordered this new version. Had some water damage on the older one, so it was easier to justify the upgrade.

By the way, there are also English names in the German edition (just in case anyone wants to start practicing German :-O).

Last edited:
I suspect there was a need for reprinting now, and they realized they could generate more sales if they incorporated what had already been done for the English updated "reprint". It has certainly worked for me, I ordered this new version. Had some water damage on the older one, so it was easier to justify the upgrade.

I had a quick look at the list of the updates in the English version in the beginning of this thread, and judging from the comments in the amazon review, it looks like indeed the new German edition has now implemented those updates as well, not more...

Since I have the app now, I will probably not buy a paper version any time soon (eventhough my German book is also seriously worn out by now). The apps allows even to show Spanish bird names ;)

Thanks, Dalat. Just to be certain that I understand: Is it the case that the 3. Auflage (and not, as someone suggested above, Ausgabe) of the German volume is identical in content to the latest printing of the English volume? In other words, that there is no additional information or updating in the German book?

And, just to push things a step further, has the book as published by Princeton been updated to keep up with the Collins version?

I know, I know, I should be doing my own collations, but criminy, it gets expensive to buy books just to help me decide whether I want to buy them.

Thanks all,

I hope for a new version. Among others, distribution of some species like Great Egret or Yellow-legged Gull has changed now. Some new species appeared (Red-billed Tropicbird and Lesser Flamingo are now breeders) and some went extinct (like Helmeted Guineafowl and Lady A's Pheasant). There are still some mistakes, too, e.g. voice of Great Egret is completely wrong, based on a recording of birds at the nest.

Just to be certain that I understand: Is it the case that the 3. Auflage (and not, as someone suggested above, Ausgabe) of the German volume is identical in content to the latest printing of the English volume? In other words, that there is no additional information or updating in the German book?,
Yes, thats how i understand it.

I had a quick look at the list of the updates in the English version in the beginning of this thread, and judging from the comments in the amazon review, it looks like indeed the new German edition has now implemented those updates as well, not more...

I have since received my new version, and it is definitely not a third edition! Just those changes that have already been mentioned. Thus a somewhat updated second edition. Texts have essentially been left unaltered, except for the taxonomic changes. Thus no mention of range changes etc. All this despite the fact that the blurb on the back cover says "Texte auf dem neuesten Stand ...." meaning texts have been updated.

Unfortunately, on p. 292 they also replaced the correct distribution map for a Stonechat (Fuerteventura S. , formerly Canary Islands S.) with a completely wrong one that has got nothing to do with the species. :-C Wonder whether that happened just in the German version.

Finally, colors are now printed a bit darker than previously, resulting in even grayer white birds, such as ptarmigans, swans, white herons/egrets. I think that is now so bad that it is simply not acceptable!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back