• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland bird field guide? (1 Viewer)

susanpm

United States
Hi. I'll be visiting Iceland next year. I was wondering if someone can recommend a good bird field guide for Iceland. Maybe one that focuses on Iceland or a European guide that includes Iceland. Thanks!

Welcome to BirdForum. The Collins Bird Guide is the best guide for Europe and covers everything found in Iceland. It's the Princeton Field Guide in the US:
This guide is also available as an app. If you want something specific to Iceland, the best solution might be to download the Iceland bird pack for the Merlin Bird ID app.

Collins bird guide app also allows you to select only birds in Iceland. It is perhaps better, because although Iceland has relatively few bird species, some cause ID problems nevertheless, like tubenoses, female ducks, waders or gulls.

It's quite old and simple and has only a few illustrations in black & white but if you want an Iceland only guide with some site information check out Iceland Nature Guides - Birdwatching by Helgi Gudmundsson & Jon Baldur Hlidberg.

It's quite old and simple and has only a few illustrations in black & white but if you want an Iceland only guide with some site information check out Iceland Nature Guides - Birdwatching by Helgi Gudmundsson & Jon Baldur Hlidberg.
I don't have it to hand but IF, this is the book I'm thinking of, it's one of the worst books I've ever purchased in terms of what it contains.

I don't have it to hand but IF, this is the book I'm thinking of, it's one of the worst books I've ever purchased in terms of what it contains.

I did try to indicate that it is basic and you certainly wouldn't want to use it as a field ID guide but as Collins was mentioned for that, I thought the additional site information in this small, cheapish book may be of use - it certainly was for me on my week in Iceland, although that was many years ago so it may be a bit out of date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back