• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (3 Viewers)

Did a comparison between SF 8x42, SV 8,5x42, FL 7x42 and SV 8x32 today.
The overall winner to me is clearly the SF:s.
Most impressive is the huge FOV/AFOV in combination with 8x mag.
It completely draws you into the view.
When upgrading my 7x42 FL:s, there's no doubt that I will go for the SF:s.

hi guys, this day i also joined the forum :t:! Have you noticed more CA in the SF than in the SV? :)

hi guys, this day i also joined the forum :t:! Have you noticed more CA in the SF than in the SV? :)

I think the SF 8x42 manages CA pretty good to have that extreme FOV.
And it would not be an issue for me, even though I'm pretty sensitive to CA.
Mainly did CA-comparison with my 7x42 FL, which I know is very good in this aspect.

Last edited:
Yes, I have spent quite a bit of time comparing binoculars. I find it interesting though. I keep what I feel is the winner after comparing them and then if a new binocular comes a long that is supposed to be better I will buy it and then compare it to what I have. The loser usually goes on Ebay(after I pump and dump to get the best price) and the winner stays. It is as simple as that. I have had times where I had several binoculars like you and I compared them all. I really don't have a need for several alpha binoculars but I like to have what I determine is best for me and how I use them. The SV 8x32 just works the best overall. I also have the Swarovski 8x30 CL, Canon 10x30 IS, and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 right now.

Whoa Dennis. There's a limit to the amount of honesty I can take. |=\|

Did a comparison between SF 8x42, SV 8,5x42, FL 7x42 and SV 8x32 today.
The overall winner to me is clearly the SF:s.
Most impressive is the huge FOV/AFOV in combination with 8x mag.
It completely draws you into the view.
When upgrading my 7x42 FL:s, there's no doubt that I will go for the SF:s.
Probably similar to the Nikon 8x30 EII. Except with sharper edges. A big FOV with 8x kind of sucks you INTO the binoculars like you are standing inside them. I think 9 degrees is about the sweet spot after that you start getting lost in the FOV. It is too big to take in all at once unless you have fish eyes.

Yes, I have spent quite a bit of time comparing binoculars. I find it interesting though. I keep what I feel is the winner after comparing them and then if a new binocular comes a long that is supposed to be better I will buy it and then compare it to what I have. The loser usually goes on Ebay(after I pump and dump to get the best price) and the winner stays. It is as simple as that. I have had times where I had several binoculars like you and I compared them all. I really don't have a need for several alpha binoculars but I like to have what I determine is best for me and how I use them. The SV 8x32 just works the best overall. I also have the Swarovski 8x30 CL, Canon 10x30 IS, and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 right now.

Hi Denco,

Have you evaluated the Canon 10x42ISL in your comparisons?
It would be very interesting to get your perspective, because you've seen and used them all, pretty much, so your take would add value.
I ask because they were so much more useful for birding to me that I've given up on non stabilized glass, no matter how alpha, whereas you seem more objective optical performance oriented.

Hi Denco,

Have you evaluated the Canon 10x42ISL in your comparisons?
It would be very interesting to get your perspective, because you've seen and used them all, pretty much, so your take would add value.
I ask because they were so much more useful for birding to me that I've given up on non stabilized glass, no matter how alpha, whereas you seem more objective optical performance oriented.
I have the Canon 10x30 IS and I like it because it is stabilized and you can see more DETAIL because the IS eliminates the shake. It is just like a binocular on a tripod. It has very good optics though not quite alpha level. I had the Canon 10x42 ISL and it has ALPHA level optics and it is stabilized and waterproof so you are going to see more DETAIL than any other 10x binocular around including the Zeiss SF. The only downside of it is it is a big sucker. Heavy and kind of unwieldy but if you use a binocular harness it can be tamed. If you need the stabilization and you can put up with the weight you will see more detail through it than any other 10x binocular. It really is a remarkable view. Sometimes you have to recenter your bird and push the stabilization on again but that is really not a problem. If you shake a lot and you don't want to carry a monopod they are pretty nice.

Last edited:
I have the Canon 10x30 IS and I like it because it is stabilized and you can see more DETAIL because the IS eliminates the shake. It is just like a binocular on a tripod.

Thank you, denco, for your take on the IS impact.
I find it strange that this feature, which really steps up the optical benefit from binoculars for their users, has not been more widely adopted. If as denco notes, the Canon 10x30IS shows the user better detail than any of competitors, including the just introduced Zeiss SF line, at a fraction of the cost, why is IS not sweeping the market?
It would be useful to know, because this sector is going to evolve into the optical furniture and fashion industry unless someone can find a way to link binoculars to the spectacular gains in the photography optics market.

I find it strange that this feature, which really steps up the optical benefit from binoculars for their users, has not been more widely adopted. If as denco notes, the Canon 10x30IS shows the user better detail than any of competitors, including the just introduced Zeiss SF line, at a fraction of the cost, why is IS not sweeping the market?
It would be useful to know, because this sector is going to evolve into the optical furniture and fashion industry unless someone can find a way to link binoculars to the spectacular gains in the photography optics market.

Maybe because people wear glasses and the eye relief is awful.

. If as denco notes, the Canon 10x30IS shows the user better detail than any of competitors, including the just introduced Zeiss SF line, at a fraction of the cost, why is IS not sweeping the market?

As explained in another thread: because of the crap warranty and the electronics, which can fail. IS bins are usually also big and heavy.

...if as denco notes, the Canon 10x30IS shows the user better detail than any of competitors, including the just introduced Zeiss SF line, at a fraction of the cost, why is IS not sweeping the market?

Image stabilization technology should probably sweep the market, at least the mid-priced market. But speaking for myself, the reason I'm not more excited about it is that I don't perceive much need. The biggest gain seems to me for seawatching, gull watching, distant duck or raptor ID and the like, where a large percentage of IDs are made at the limits of visual acuity. In those situations, I much prefer the even greater magnification of a scope, so that's what I use. For me, a birding bin is more about delivering the highest quality view (best contrast, color) as fast as possible. When I'm sifting through sparrows or wood warblers in the brush or dense woods, getting on the bird fast enough is usually the limiting factor for ID, not seeing small details. So I favor 7 or 8x, with their wider FOV and greater DOF very strongly over 10x. If I did more birding where I find more use for 10x, I'd probably be inclined toward an IS bin to accompany my scope.

--AP

I would not mind stabilization, if the package size was like the SF,
but that's not physical possible,
birding is not about looking at resolutions charts,
finding the bird, getting it sharp, could be matter of milliseconds,
before the stabilization even have started to work,
and usually birders have a spotting scope for getting the smallest details,
a good binocular also should be a joy to use, the canon 10x30 IS might not be the most comfortable view that exists,
external stabilizers like a simple monopod (or variants of finn sticks) is much cheaper, and can be used with you favorite binos, and no batteries.
just my 50 cents..
:smoke:

Hejsan Vespobuteo:

I agree with all your reasons about not wishing IS bins, except for what you say about how fast you get on a bird with regular bins: milliseconds?!
Finding the bird, getting it sharp, could be matter of milliseconds

Mvh, Peter.

Maybe because people wear glasses and the eye relief is awful.
The Canon 10x30 IS has 14mm of ER which is not bad. I don't mean to recommend an IS binocular for everybody but they do have their place for birders that don't want to carry a monopod and perhaps don't have a steady hand. In the non-birding world the Canon IS is very popular. The fact is if your binoculars are steady you can see more.

As explained in another thread: because of the crap warranty and the electronics, which can fail. IS bins are usually also big and heavy.
Yes, the warranty isn't that great and the electronics can go out although I have never had any trouble. The 10x30 IS is pretty compact but the 10x42 ISL is pretty big and heavy. I like them for their uniqueness. If you have to read numbers on something or see detail at distance they are hard to beat. The IS makes up for their not quite alpha optics. But their optics are very good and they have a double field flattener in them which makes for sharp edges.

The Canon 10x30 IS has 14mm of ER which is not bad. I don't mean to recommend an IS binocular for everybody but they do have their place for birders that don't want to carry a monopod and perhaps don't have a steady hand. In the non-birding world the Canon IS is very popular. The fact is if your binoculars are steady you can see more.

They may be fine, but I usually start having problems at the 15 or 16mm mark depending on the design (and some 17's) so I just dont pay much attention to anything less than 16. If I am willing to work at it some of the short ER ones I have tried had a great view, but just werent comfortable to use.

They may be fine, but I usually start having problems at the 15 or 16mm mark depending on the design (and some 17's) so I just dont pay much attention to anything less than 16. If I am willing to work at it some of the short ER ones I have tried had a great view, but just werent comfortable to use.
They work for me with no blackouts. The ER and eyecup length seem to be about right on the 10x30 IS.

I would not mind stabilization, if the package size was like the SF,
but that's not physical possible,
birding is not about looking at resolutions charts,
finding the bird, getting it sharp, could be matter of milliseconds,
before the stabilization even have started to work,
and usually birders have a spotting scope for getting the smallest details,
a good binocular also should be a joy to use, the canon 10x30 IS might not be the most comfortable view that exists,
external stabilizers like a simple monopod (or variants of finn sticks) is much cheaper, and can be used with you favorite binos, and no batteries.
just my 50 cents..
:smoke:

Speed is not a problem with the Canons, except that their focus (10x42 IS L) is geared slower than in many other alphas. You find the bird and look at it, and it will be like with any other binocular until you press the stabilization button. There is nothing to slow you down. Then when you want to really see the bird, you press the button.

Monopods and finnsticks will not give you nearly the same benefit as the stabilizer does, and can be used with the 10x42 Canon just as well or better than with other binoculars. Better in the sense that no adapter is needed.

This fall I sold my old 10x42 IS L and bought a new one. The friend I sold it to does not view resolution charts but birds extensively. Last time I saw him in the field, he said that now for the first time he feels that he sees all the birds that are in the field of view, no matter how far or hidden they may be.

But this is a Zeiss SF thread, so perhaps we should get back to topic.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back