• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500mm Apo For D70 (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lee

Hi been drooling over new lens which I want to buy ASAP in the new year.

Prices appear to be around £730.00. Can anybody give any info as to relaibility and image production.

Thanks

Trev

Growing Old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Trevor Lee said:
Hi been drooling over new lens which I want to buy ASAP in the new year.

Prices appear to be around £730.00. Can anybody give any info as to relaibility and image production.

Thanks

Trev

Growing Old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

If you look at
Warehousexpress

go to Photographic section - look for bargain basement on the left hand side - click 'optics' scroll down to Sigma Grade 'A' Refurbs / Repaired and you can get a 50-500 for £500.
I got my Sigma 170-500 that way - it was brand new with full waranty, travel case etc but looked like rear element had been smashed in transit - a new one had been fitted but they sent the broken one too.

Sigma make a huge range of lenses to suit all pockets (I have 4 of them) and the Bigma (50-500) is well thought of.

Hi, I am a novice photographer, got the Sigma 50-500 DG in the early fall..these were my first pictures with it...I am very happy with it so far. I like the quality of the photos far better than the quality with my Nikon 70-300

Attachments

• Monarch-on-Verbena5.jpg
    Monarch-on-Verbena5.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Sparrow7.jpg
    Sparrow7.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Sparrow4.jpg
    Sparrow4.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
The sigma 50-500 is a great lense. ( Thought to be the best in it's category )
In the 500 m"M range and at that price tag you can also find the Sigma170-500 and the Tamron 200-500 .
I heartly recommend the Tamron 200-500 ( which i use on my D-70 )- a great lense and a Lot of lense for the price.It is also lighter than the Bigma - thus allowing you to shoot hand held with less difficulty.
Here are a few examples.

Attachments

• 64141111_copy.jpg
    64141111_copy.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 220
  • 6414DSC_0066-01_copy_2.jpg
    6414DSC_0066-01_copy_2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 6414Mirror.jpg
    6414Mirror.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 258
DOC said:
The sigma 50-500 is a great lense. ( Thought to be the best in it's category )
In the 500 m"M range and at that price tag you can also find the Sigma170-500 and the Tamron 200-500 .
I heartly recommend the Tamron 200-500 ( which i use on my D-70 )- a great lense and a Lot of lense for the price.It is also lighter than the Bigma - thus allowing you to shoot hand held with less difficulty.
Here are a few examples.

Thanks Doc, great Photo's, I will look at the tamron especially as it is lighter and can be hand held.

Well worth a look considering your photos.

Regards

Trevor

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some of us just dont have film!

Very nice samples DOC. You've probably got a good copy of this lens. I saw other pictures coming out of this lens that were not that great.
Shooting @500mm hand held needs a lot of experience and a bit of luck.
I recommend for hand held usage the Nikon 80-400VR. When the lens is set to a limited range, it focuses quite fast.
Here is a sample:

Attachments

• DSC_3613f.jpg
    DSC_3613f.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 214
I use the Tamron too, and love it. The Bigma was just TOO big. I won't post images here, but there are plenty in my gallery if you want to take a look - most taken with the Tamron.

My gallery

If you don't mind using a good solid tripod, I would go for the Bigma. I've had mine since mid summer and love it. It is not a lens to be handheld, at least not for me. On my D70 it's a 750mm lens. But on a tripod you can achieve excellent results. If you prefer to handhold...I would look into a VR type lens. Good luck. Woody

woodysworld said:
If you don't mind using a good solid tripod, I would go for the Bigma. I've had mine since mid summer and love it. It is not a lens to be handheld, at least not for me. On my D70 it's a 750mm lens. But on a tripod you can achieve excellent results. If you prefer to handhold...I would look into a VR type lens. Good luck. Woody

Thanks woody, I would prefer to hand hold some of the time so the tamron looks the best option.

best wishes
Trev

Sigma & D70

Trevor Lee said:
Thanks woody, I would prefer to hand hold some of the time so the tamron looks the best option.

best wishes
Trev
Hi

Recently got the Tamron 200-500 secondhand and after advice from both Doc and Rezmole, here is a link to my first ever shot taken with a D50 + Tam 200-500. This was taken yesterday and is handheld at 500mm (800 ISO &1/500&f6.3). I'm chuffed with the result and can't wait for some decent bright weather to try out the lens further!

Cheers

Stuart R

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/75064/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Last edited:
Stuart R said:
Hi

Recently got the Tamron 200-500 secondhand and after advice from both Doc and Rezmole, here is a link to my first ever shot taken with a D50 + Tam 200-500. This was taken yesterday and is handheld at 500mm (800 ISO &1/500&f6.3). I'm chuffed with the result and can't wait for some decent bright weather to try out the lens further!

Cheers

Stuart R

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/75064/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
Glad to see you like the lens Stuart, & that is a cracking first shot! Well done.
Regards Rob.

Would anyone say that the above mentioned two lenses would produce better images than the Canon300 F4 ISx1x4 converter.ie using them with the 1x4/2x converters?.I have checked the Sigma sites,but can see no mention of IS.

Tough question, Christine.

I wouldn't like to speculate that results on a Nikon-based set up would be the same as those on Canon kit - lots of variables there.

Not least, the brand of teleconvertor. With some telecons you might lose IS. For example, I do with my Sigma 80-400mm OS when used with the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x.

Sigma doesn't have "IS" incidentally, it has "OS" ("Optical Stabilisation") and so far only their 80-400mm OS lens has it.

And of course, it all depends whether we're talking about hand-holding or tripod use...

I have lately thought of getting a TC for my Tamron 200-500. After some research and online mailing with Tamron and B&H - it is not advisable to use any TC on the long zoom- telephoto lenses . You loose too much stops, the picture is way too soft and you don't gain much .
On the other hand- using TC's with prime lenses- that is a great combo and i think that using a Tc with Canon 300 F4 IS will result in excellent photos.
If you look at http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3- you'll see that almost all photographers there use prime lenses ( 500, 600 m"m etc ) with teleconverters and just look at thse photos.! Sharp , clear and amazing.

Thanks for reply Keith.I would only be interested in using this lens with a 1x4 converter on a tripod,just to give me that little extra.I do have a 100-400,which is why I did think that this lens would not be worth my while purchasing.Albeit,the reviews are very good re the Bigma.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back