• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions about Nikon D7500 with Sigma 50-500 (1 Viewer)

maj.sujan

birdblog.majsujan
Norway
Hi everyone,
I'm using Nikon D7000 with Nikon 70-300mm and I'm not completely happy with the reach of 300mm. I'm new to bird photography and can't afford to buy a 200-500mm right away.
I have an offer to buy a Sigma 50-500mm with Nikon D7500 for 650+350 euros. I'm thinking of selling the old set-up in that case.
Is it worth it to go for a Sigma 50-500 or should I wait more? I need some suggestions before proceeding with the deal.

Hi Majsujan
It sometimes takes a little time before someone with experience of the right camera and lenses sees your post. So please do not be discouraged that you haven't had a reply yet. More than 55 people have looked at your post so it is being noticed.

Lee

I think the D7500 would be a worthwhile upgrade on the D7000, but I'm not so sure about the lens. The 50-500mm is a very large, heavy lens which might not give you a great improvement in image quality over the 70-300.
I have a D7200, 300mm PF with 1.4xTC and it is a great lightweight combination for bird photography, especially as I am a birder first and photographer second - I don't miss not having a zoom as the situations where you are too close are rare, and in any case it has excellent close focussing. You still get a decent amount of reach, and have I would imagine better autofocusing and better image quality than the 50-500, meaning you can crop images quite a lot and they still look good.
I know this doesn't help as the 300 PF is a more expensive lens, and I know the standard advice is always to spend money on lenses, not cameras...but in your position if you can buy a D7500 for 350 euros I would do it, then save for a better quality lens.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll try to upgrade the body if I can get the D7500 body alone, for now.
I was also doubtful about the Sigma 50-500mm, reviews weren't that great on the internet. I'll wait for a better deal on Sigma 150-600mm or Nikon 200-500mm.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll try to upgrade the body if I can get the D7500 body alone, for now.
I was also doubtful about the Sigma 50-500mm, reviews weren't that great on the internet. I'll wait for a better deal on Sigma 150-600mm or Nikon 200-500mm.
I have a Nikon D750 and have been using it with the 50-500 sigma. It's a pretty good lens and the auto focus is extremely fast and sharp. The lens is up for sale since October with no takers so dropping the price yet again. Reason for selling is the weight, I'm knocking on 77 years old and I find it too much as I get even older. I use mainly a 28-300 Nikon lens which serves me well. If I can eventually sell the sigma I might go with a converter if I feel I need the extra reach. I'm considering a Sony RX100 vii as a much much lighter alternative to the nikon, plus as it's mainly landscapes nowadays the 200 reach is plenty far enough. Good luck

Thanks for the response! I saved up and went for a second hand Sigma 150-600mm sport and a Nikon D500. The lens is quite heavy but I'm happy with the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back