• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several days birding with Monarch HG 8X42 (1 Viewer)

Thanks, Caesar. But, yes, I did mean Nikon Monarch HG. Does that change things?

Lee: how in the world did you know about the Chimay Bleu?!

A

Hi Avron

I have travelled quite a lot in Europe on business and more recently have visited France for holidays travelling via Belgium. Being interested in trying different beers I tried both red and blue Chimay back in the 1980s and have been lucky enough to encounter them in French hotels in recent years. The last Chimay Bleu I had was in 2009 in a hotel near Nancy. With a bit of luck I will be able to sample another in the same place in a few weeks time. Salut!

Lee

Last edited:
...With my 10x42 ELs I was able to resolve a star into a single point. With the SEs, I could not do the same: the same star divided into two points. Is that sufficient indication that the binoculars are out of collimation?

Yes. I presume you see only one star through each tube, and it looks like two when viewing with both eyes.

--AP

I have been the testing the nikon 10x42 Hg several times in different light situations and I have to change my opinion on them
In the past , I was fond of their brightness , and great FOV , and this remains a great pro
On the other hand , just asking myself whether it is a great birding glass , I would definitely say no, because the more I look trough them , the more they appear to be quite nervous in image
So for a quick bird spot , just fine , for long birding sessions , you just feel they don't give the same ease of looking
What could be the reason for this?

I can't comment on the 10X Monarch HG. 10X is a more "nervous" magnification simply by being a higher magnification. IMO...a light binocular and high magnification don't always prove to be best combination for a steady hold. For me, a little more weight=steadier hold in most situations.

As far as the 8X42 MHG goes....not many BETTER birding binoculars at it's price point IMO.

May I ask if your wife might have been having partial blackouts in the view when she used your SE?Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for thinking of this. We are not experiencing blackouts with the SEs. It really does appear to be a collimation problem.

A

Yes. I presume you see only one star through each tube, and it looks like two when viewing with both eyes.

--AP

Hi Alexis,

Unhappily, it was completely overcast here last night, so I did not have the chance to check each tube individually. I think that I've done this, however, and I did get a single star in each tube. But what would it mean about the binoculars if I actually did get a double image in each tube when I got a single image in the ELs?

A

Hi Alexis,
Unhappily, it was completely overcast here last night, so I did not have the chance to check each tube individually. I think that I've done this, however, and I did get a single star in each tube. But what would it mean about the binoculars if I actually did get a double image in each tube when I got a single image in the ELs?
A

Hi,

my money would be on collimation here.

I would not trade my SE 10x42 for the Monarch HG - the latter are nice bins in the $1000 class, but not an alpha killer like the SE.

In your case with a broken SE needing repairs, one might get the Monarch HG, use it until a used SE gets available, snag that up and hope the used Monarch HG fetches roughly the same price... The problem with this is that used SE are not too common...

Did you already get a quote for collimation from a 3rd party repair shop?

PS: if your SE are 8x32, there's currently two in the classifieds.

Joachim

Last edited:
Is this collimation problem obvious in normal everyday use? Does one notice it every time the binocular is put up to ones eyes or is it only seen, and this is the part that confuses me, only when this star tube test is done?

Bob

Hi Bob,

The binoculars are my wife's. I tried the star test because she felt unhappy with what she was seeing through the binoculars. She is now less certain about that. It might be the case that the problem is seen only on the star test. She will try them again today (we have been away).

If the problem is seen only on the star test, what does that tell you?

A

Hi,

the eyes and brain can adapt for slight collimation problems in binoculars but this can cause eyestrain or a headache after prolonged use.

This is why one has to fool the brain to not adapt, for example by watching a star in focus through one tube and a lot out-of-focus through the other one and checking if the in focus pinpoint image is in the middle of the diffraction disc.

Btw. this procedure is not what is usually called a star-test, where one compares slightly out-of-focus diffraction patterns on either side of focus to each other and images of known optics problems.

Joachim

Hi Bob,

The binoculars are my wife's. I tried the star test because she felt unhappy with what she was seeing through the binoculars. She is now less certain about that. It might be the case that the problem is seen only on the star test. She will try them again today (we have been away).

If the problem is seen only on the star test, what does that tell you?

A

I don't know. I have only seen miscollimations in the traditional manner as double vertical images. I don't know how technicians like Bill Cole collimate Porro prism binoculars on the collimators they use for that purpose or even if they use this "star test" when they do it.

Bob

A simple test is to look at a horizontal top roof line. Pull the binoculars away from your eyes maintaining vision through both tubes. It takes practice, but the lines should match up horizontal. Open the binoculars wider and see if the line remains matched. Quite often they wouldn't but at usable IPDs they will.

Obviously you need to make sure the person is using the correct diopter setting or the focus point will be different one side from the other.

I wonder whether Nikon will make 32mm versions of this line? They obviously did with the old HGs, so that would be very interesting.

I wonder whether Nikon will make 32mm versions of this line? They obviously did with the old HGs, so that would be very interesting.

I have my doubts about this.

The old HGs were Nikon's top of the line roof prism binoculars when they brought them out and they included 8x32 and 10x32 versions along with the 8 and 10x42s. There was no 7x42.

The EDG is now getting long in the tooth and is due for an upgrade.

Optically (as opposed to structurally) speaking it is about 10 years old. It started with the EDG I double hinged version around 2007 or 2008 which was sold only in the USA. That version was discontinued. It morphed into the EDG II which was introduced first in Europe about 2010.

Here is a pretty good historical sketch about the EDGs from Allbinos:

http://www.allbinos.com/215-binoculars_review-Nikon_10x42_EDG.html

Bob

Just thought I'd add my opinion of the HG's after comparing them with the Conquest HD 8x32 and 10x42 while on holiday.

First of all they are very light for an 8x42, quite noticeable compared to the Conquest 10x42 which I think are roughly the same weight as the 8x42 Conquest. I still prefer the more tactile/grippy feel of the Zeiss though.

The focus is very smooth and precise although slower than either of the Conquests, depth of field maybe be slightly greater so less focus adjustment required.

Optically there isn't a huge difference to my eyes, very similar in terms of sharpness but it does seem to have a bit more contrast or maybe better colour reproduction (less neutral?) a touch brighter, especially in low light conditions, although that is to be expected compared to the 8x32s I guess.

Field of view is very good, I don't seem to have any issues wearing glasses which I do sometimes with the 8x32 Conquests which is part of the reason I bought the HGs.

The only slight negative is that there is some CA in certain situations although I was consciously looking for it but it was less evident on either Zeiss model. It wasn't something that bothered me most of the time but maybe an issue for some.

Overall I wouldn't say they were better or worse than the Conquests, each have their good and not so good points, is there a perfect binocular at any price? The 8x32 Conquests are £150 cheaper than the HG's and are probably better value for money if eye placement isn't an issue, although the HG's were the pair I picked up first most of the time...

Sorry for the long winded post!

Nice thread, this one and Binastro's one :) Chose to post my experiences in this newer one. Because after long with 10x42 I wanted something with wider FOV and lighter, hooked to a Kowa XD BDII 6.5x32... So I found this Nikon MHG nicely priced with condition as new and had an evening and morning testing from my urban garden.

First impressions from the box: verrrry nice ergonomics, beautiful! Leatherlike armour feels nice to the touch, rainguard fits snugly but not too tight, objective caps are very nicely designed although they take a good push/click to fix them and keep them from falling out. But this design tempts to keep the obj caps on and protest the lenses better ;) Have not unpacked the straps yet but they seem nice, not too wide and normally neoprene padded.

When using I noticed one tiny design thingie that annoyed me, especially when testing one-handed: I put my ringfinger(s) behind the hinge, and there's that screw hiding the tripod attachment. This had a sharp ridge, not only on the side around it (that makes sense) but also protruding somewhat forward. So I have to place my fingers thoughtfully (will get used to, I'm sure) so to not feel the sharp ridge...A small nuisance but when you're tired these can become annoying.
One other slight negative (and then I'm done) is the case... Too wide for the bins, and really thin, offers almost no protection. The closing flap leaves a lot of space on the sides as well. Worst I've seen so far, seems I'll still be stuck with my old Vanguard Endeavor EDII case...nice and snug for bins these sizes with a closing zipper...

Alright, optics: GREAT. Fov is nice and wide, view is really bright, colours are natural (but don't pop) and sharpness is good. Focusing goes somewhat stiff, but feels like in need of breaking in. It turns solid, without any play.

I have the smaller Kowa to compare to, and Meostar 10x42hd. And that makes some nice subtle comparing.
The Meopta is sharper. Next to that the Nikon mhg feels like not exactly getting into focus, lacking that very tiny bit of sharpness...colours on the Meopta are more contrasty, gives a bit more pop, Nikon is neutral.
The Nikon has a tiny bit of colour fringing on high contrast objects that I honestly have to search for, but the Meopta is clearly just lacking it.
Both lack glare in normal situations; in the dark at night, next to a streetlight the Nikon gives some slight glare, Meopta none, period.
A fun thing was how the bigger exit pupil showed in the dark (in town with ambient streetlighting); the 8x42 beat the 10x42 on that, clearly somewhat brighter to my eyes. This was something I found this dreary, dark, rainy morning as well; the Nikon is brighter to me than the 10x42 Meopta in dull conditions... And that something that's important to me, we have a long dark winter season and I want the clarity for forest as well.
All that is in direct comparison and I'm really pushing and searching for the differences, but they're there.

Just using the Nikon as you would without directly comparing and splitting hairs, some birds flying don't give any CA and can be nicely followed due to the fov. Clarity and contrast is just very nice, and the bins feel good to the touch, really light with the Meopta feeling like a big heavy brick next to that.

Compared to my Kowa 6.5x32, about same exit pupil, difference in optical quality to the Nikon is obvious; Nikon is brighter, better colour rendition and contrast. But in sharpness the Kowa is hardly lagging...I don't blame that on the Nikon being sub-quality, more on the Kowa being higher quality than the price suggests. To me the 32 vs 42 question is about clarity in duller conditions and in low-light forest (where the Kowa showed me too little detail/brightness/colour). When focusing on a shaded bit in my tiny garden, and on a tree further away, there was absolutely a difference with the Nikon giving more contrast, colour and detail in the shaded part and lighting up the details in the tree better.

Still...there's that nagging question if (sub)alpha 8x32, with its luring size/weight advantage, gives that much difference in dimmer situations than this bright Nikon 8x42...that little bit of extra sharpness a Meopta Meostar seems to offer might be a factor in that as well...One can only try...? o:)

^ Oh look, a wall of text! :-O Bottomline: the Nikon has great aesthetics, great clarity, good natural condition, a bit of CA but not annoyingly so, could be a bit sharper but what's to be realistically expected at this pricepoint. The light weight and wide FOV make this a very handy set of bins, and they might prove to be the single one I need in all situations.

Nice thread, this one and Binastro's one :) Chose to post my experiences in this newer

Still...there's that nagging question if (sub)alpha 8x32, with its luring size/weight advantage, gives that much difference in dimmer situations than this bright Nikon 8x42...that little bit of extra sharpness a Meopta Meostar seems to offer might be a factor in that as well...One can only try...? o:)

^ Oh look, a wall of text! :-O Bottomline: the Nikon has great aesthetics, great clarity, good natural condition, a bit of CA but not annoyingly so, could be a bit sharper but what's to be realistically expected at this pricepoint. The light weight and wide FOV make this a very handy set of bins, and they might prove to be the single one I need in all situations.

Or the 8x32 Meostar..... "they might prove to be the single one I need in all situations".....Get em why they are being marked-down as Meopta is bringing in the Meostar Plus or B2. I see B1's and B1.1' heavily discounted and wow, still a great bin.

Yeah, it's tempting to at least try them out now discounted at many places...just to create the funds for that will need seeing something else go... (the 10x42)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back