• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch HG 8x42 vs Save for NL Pure (1 Viewer)

ngiff3

United States
I started birding a few years ago with a pair of Athlon Midas ED 8x42. I really like them, but they weren't perfect and had a couple construction issues that needed to be sent in for repair during Spring migration this yr (got a bit of moisture in one barrel and and the rubber cover for one eyecap came loose), so I decided to spring for some next level ~$1000 binoculars so I wasn't without during migration. I was able to try locally Trinovid, Razor HD, and Zeiss Conquest 10x42, but couldn't find anywhere to try much else. I ended up purchasing a pair of Razor HD 8x42s online.

I like the Razor image, but I'm finding I miss the larger FOV of the Midas when I'm using the Razor HDs (Midas is 426 ft @ 1000 yds, Razor HDs are 388 ft @ 1000 yds). I've been debating on whether to try to sell the Razors and pick up a pair of Monarch HG 8x42 (which seem to be the preferred high FOV option at $1000 price point), or wait and start saving toward some NL Pure 8x32 or 8x42s.

I'm curious what people think- is there a point of diminishing returns beyond something like the Monarch HGs, or are the NL Pures worth the wait? I'm learning I really like the immersive nature of a wide FOV, and it seems like the NL Pures are the platonic ideal for that kind of view. Any thoughts?

Also- how dim of light do I need to be working with to justify the extra weight of the 8x42s vs 8x30 MHGs or 8x32 NL Pures? I've just defaulted to 8x42 in the past, but all this research has me questioning if I should try some 8x32s.

I started birding a few years ago with a pair of Athlon Midas ED 8x42. I really like them, but they weren't perfect and had a couple construction issues that needed to be sent in for repair during Spring migration this yr (got a bit of moisture in one barrel and and the rubber cover for one eyecap came loose), so I decided to spring for some next level ~$1000 binoculars so I wasn't without during migration. I was able to try locally Trinovid, Razor HD, and Zeiss Conquest 10x42, but couldn't find anywhere to try much else. I ended up purchasing a pair of Razor HD 8x42s online.

I like the Razor image, but I'm finding I miss the larger FOV of the Midas when I'm using the Razor HDs (Midas is 426 ft @ 1000 yds, Razor HDs are 388 ft @ 1000 yds). I've been debating on whether to try to sell the Razors and pick up a pair of Monarch HG 8x42 (which seem to be the preferred high FOV option at $1000 price point), or wait and start saving toward some NL Pure 8x32 or 8x42s.

I'm curious what people think- is there a point of diminishing returns beyond something like the Monarch HGs, or are the NL Pures worth the wait? I'm learning I really like the immersive nature of a wide FOV, and it seems like the NL Pures are the platonic ideal for that kind of view. Any thoughts?

Also- how dim of light do I need to be working with to justify the extra weight of the 8x42s vs 8x30 MHGs or 8x32 NL Pures? I've just defaulted to 8x42 in the past, but all this research has me questioning if I should try some 8x32s.
A lot there Ng. Overall 42 would be a better all around Binocular if you’re not concerned with a few extra ounces. Funny that the vortex razor HD in 8x is one of the smallest in FOV on the market , and the 10x is one of the largest , second only to the NL, it’s actually wider than the size SF.

That being said I’ve had them all and tried many side by side and I don’t feel the Razor it’s quite as good as the Monarch HG or the Zeiss conquest for this price range. The MHG is a great binocular with a nice wide FOV and one of the lightest in the category. Certainly it’s not an NL or SF in that area of FOV. Now in my opinion this thousand dollar range is probably the sweet spot of all Binoculars. Optically they are superb, and not far off from the latest and greatest and most expensive. They also have many of the build quality characteristics of the best. So I would say if you want the best you save up the money and buying an hour or an SF, if a large FOV is your thing. Are the hand you may not even see the difference in optical quality from the monarch HG. So it all comes down to the old adage, try before you buy. Even in this class ,unless something really pops out at you at the store , or the first few minutes you put them to your eyes , you may not see the difference until you’ve had them a few days.

Oh by the way 426 feet is not really considered a wide field Binocular anymore, most 8’s today have that or more. We could add the conquest and another beauty ,would be the Kowa genesis line.

Paul

Last edited:
Where do people go to try binoculars? I'm in Buffalo, NY and we don't really have any stores that sell a variety of optics. The best I've found is Cabela's which doesn't carry Nikon and seems to only have 10x42s.

Where do people go to try binoculars? I'm in Buffalo, NY and we don't really have any stores that sell a variety of optics. The best I've found is Cabela's which doesn't carry Nikon and seems to only have 10x42s.
No, no, no do not go to Cabela’s! Narrow your choice down to two, order both from B&H Photo in NY, return the one you don’t want. Imo.

Paul

Save for the NL Pure.

Because when you get anything else, you will die a million cuts of 'what if' if you don't.

Just look at some of the poor souls here on BF for proof of that in spades.

"NEED! Precious!!! Swaroshhhiiieee..... Need, must have precious..."

Attachments

• sledge.jpg
    sledge.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back