• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MHG Help (1 Viewer)

kaitneff

United States
Hello! I have spiraled down a rabbit hole of picking new binoculars (as one does) and have narrowed my decision down to Nikon MHG but stuck between an 8x30 and 8x42. I tried the 8x42 and they're comfortable in my hand, but I'm moving from a Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 so they feel large and heavy comparatively, of course. I plan to keep the Trailblazers for backpacking and longer day hikes.

I don't wear glasses. I live in the desert and generally bird on foot in the mornings and afternoons and have not had any issues with light with the 8x25 except for right at/after dusk. I would like to be able to comfortably wear the bins around and plan to get a chest pack, but I would say size/weight are very important to me. I will use them for birding and wildlife viewing on an upcoming trip to Kruger National Park where I anticipate we will be out at dawn and dusk. I spend a week or a few a year in Costa Rica and bird in the rainforest where there is a lot less light than the desert.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Come on !!!! 383 grams difference is not going to ruin your life, and the difference in clarity in the conditions you describe will be enormous !!
Don't hesitate for these details and go for these 8x42s !!

Come on !!!! 383 grams difference is not going to ruin your life, and the difference in clarity in the conditions you describe will be enormous !!
Don't hesitate for these details and go for these 8x42s !!
Thanks, tehri. I guess you hit what I was looking for, whether the difference (in mostly bright light but also in some softer light) would be enormous. :)

It won't be enormous. The difference is usually 15-20min dawn and dusk. So if that is a big deal, then go 42mm. Otherwise, if size/weight are 'very important to' you (your own words), then at least try 8x30 format.
Bins are a very personal thing. Blackouts, hand-size/fit, ER, glare, eyecups... Best is to confirm what works for you.

As you said... " for right at/after dusk... we will be out at dawn and dusk ", the difference is no doubt, no discussion or hesitation from 25 to 42, and just for only 383 grams more ! ;)
665 grams is really reasonable for10x42, and not at all a disturbing weight !!

I apologize to Tehri for doing this - blowing his cover - but you have to understand who he is and why he doesn't care about bulk/weight. Who knew, eh!? Just don't spread it... he hates being seen as a girly man that looks at little birdies ;-)

1705363379990.png1705363667778.png

My move in 2017 from 8x42 to 8x30 binoculars (first Nikon M7 and recently Zeiss SFL) is the best step I have made optically in the last 20 years. I literally enjoy every minute of my birding trips from the volume and weight advantage, but the disadvantage of less light in gray weather or darkness at the end of the day rarely plays a role, but I mainly bird during the day. Moreover, it is of course not the case that you see nothing at all in poor light conditions and certainly not with the excellent 8x30 binoculars such as the MHG and SFL.

My move in 2017 from 8x42 to 8x30 binoculars (first Nikon M7 and recently Zeiss SFL) is the best step I have made optically in the last 20 years. I literally enjoy every minute of my birding trips from the volume and weight advantage, but the disadvantage of less light in gray weather or darkness at the end of the day rarely plays a role, but I mainly bird during the day. Moreover, it is of course not the case that you see nothing at all in poor light conditions and certainly not with the excellent 8x30 binoculars such as the MHG and SFL.
Thank you! This is helpful!

Hello! I have spiraled down a rabbit hole of picking new binoculars (as one does) and have narrowed my decision down to Nikon MHG but stuck between an 8x30 and 8x42. I tried the 8x42 and they're comfortable in my hand, but I'm moving from a Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 so they feel large and heavy comparatively, of course. I plan to keep the Trailblazers for backpacking and longer day hikes.

I don't wear glasses. I live in the desert and generally bird on foot in the mornings and afternoons and have not had any issues with light with the 8x25 except for right at/after dusk. I would like to be able to comfortably wear the bins around and plan to get a chest pack, but I would say size/weight are very important to me. I will use them for birding and wildlife viewing on an upcoming trip to Kruger National Park where I anticipate we will be out at dawn and dusk. I spend a week or a few a year in Costa Rica and bird in the rainforest where there is a lot less light than the desert.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

As you plan to use with a harness, I vote you go for the 8x42. The key is to find the right harness and adjust it (maybe even modify it) to fit your anatomy. For use in the desert and other hot conditions you should probably avoid a chest pack version.

Good luck with the Quest.

Mike

I love all the advantages of larger aperture, I would get the 8x42's for sure. It's a more powerful instrument. You already have a pair of 8x compact binos. The 8x42 MHG are one of the lightest 42mm's too.

Plus I believe the 8x30 and 8x42 are the same price which is crazy, it's almost like you're making money by buying the 42's :)

8x30 will be fine, the difference is minutes dawn and dusk.
I've gone from 8x42 to 8x32, and they are far better all round.
I would definately go 30/32mm...
And for what it's worth i'm a pretty big guy with spade size hands....

I have had a few quality 8x30's and 10x42's , in the end I preferred an 8x42 which just happened to be a Nikon Monarch HG . Doesn't feel heavy to me and I'm a 150 pound 65 year old man . It's an excellent all-rounder that feels great in my hands , ymmv . Sometimes I do a little star hopping with it , this is when the larger aperture is appreciated .

As you plan to use with a harness, I vote you go for the 8x42. The key is to find the right harness and adjust it (maybe even modify it) to fit your anatomy. For use in the desert and other hot conditions you should probably avoid a chest pack version.

Good luck with the Quest.

Mike
This is good to know. I liked the marsupial harness when I tried it but I didn't think about how it could get too warm. I will have to think on that.

Seems like the vote is split here, which makes sense why I was waffling back and forth so much. I am going to start with the 8x42 for now since I already know I liked it, and next pair I suspect will be upgrading the compact binos I already have. :)

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments!

If you like your current Trailblazers, which I assume you do as you say you’re going to keep them, then I’d be inclined to go with the 8x42s. That’ll give you two more-versatile options to take out with you in future.

If you like your current Trailblazers, which I assume you do as you say you’re going to keep them, then I’d be inclined to go with the 8x42s. That’ll give you two more-versatile options to take out with you in future.
Thank you! This is exactly what I decided to do and why. I do like my Trailblazers, but I'm not sure if I will for too long after getting the MHGs... but I think I'd still rather have a compact pair and the 8x42s even if I end up upgrading those Trailblazers next. :)

I made a similar move from 8X25 travelite to 8X42 MHG ca. 5 years ago and I'm very pleased. The difference in dawn/dusk situation is tangible and the overall quality of image of MHG is far superior. I have kept the travelites and bring them with me on the occasion where birding is not a priority, but I want to have bins with me just in case something shows up. Unlike the MHG, the travelites fit into my jacket pocket.

Having looked through some 10X4? alphas, I am occasionally tempted by an upgrade but mostly for the magnification as the difference in clarity and sharpness is not as big as between travelite-MHG. I used to be a person who goes into extremes when travelling light, but no longer perceive the weight difference between the MHG and for example Swaro NL as a deal-breaker. I don't have experience of 10X3? bins though.

My favourite bino is my 8x42 Fuji HC. But I also often use 8x30/32. If I wanna go super lightweight I use an old Optolyth 8x30 which weighs 420 gr. So I'd suggest investing in a top 8x42 (as much as you can reasonably afford) and maybe get a mid-tier 8x32 (something like a Meopta Meopro or Kowa BDII 8x32) as a back-up when you want a more lightweight bino. The weight does make a difference. My Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 is my "toss in the bag" bino (got the old "assembled in the USA" version which is really good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back