• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher in my garden!!! (1 Viewer)

bristolbirder

Couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I looked out of the window to see a pair of Kingfishers in my Cherry tree! Bearing in mind that I only have a tiny suburban garden barely bigger than the footprint of my house and garage.

There is a small stream about 200 yards away running through the estate but it is only about a metre wide and a few inches deep. Also, I have a small garden wildlife pond (no fish) so I wouldn't have thought either being particularly attractive to Kingfishers. So the question is, what were they doing there?

Steve

A stunning garden tick! :clap:

There's no chance of finding one in mine. The nearest stream is quite a fair way off and is too narrow to attract a Kingfisher.

Congratulations, Steve - that's amazing! The greatest excitement I've ever had was a heron, possibly attracted by the running water of our small wildlife pond.

Nice one, Steve.

We had a kingfisher in our previous garden. It sat for 5 minutes on top of the bird feeders eyeing up the fish in the pond. Fortunately, the pond was netted.

This just isn't fair, some people seem to have all the luck. I have only seen kingfishers 3 or 4 times and only for a second or so.

Hi Steve

Kingfishers will sometimes take fish from garden ponds,in the winter time some birds will move from their normal territory down to the coast(because ponds freeze up).A good garden tick!!!

Regards Steve.

WoW!!!!

What a great garden sighting. Perhaps they knew you couldn't go to them and thought it would be good to come to you! ;)

Did they stay long? Let us know if they visit again!

Eagle

What a superb surprise. I have a small stream only 100-200 yards away from my house. I now regularly see Kingfishers flying across what was a ford, but never near the house.

Rob

Glad to hear that Steve, about time you got some really good luck. I wonder if you have dragonfly larvae, as they will eat them besides fish!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back