• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1cy Great Black-backed Gull? London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Plumage and bulk looks right to me; bill looks a bit small, but might just be the angle?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1500036RGp900n2.jpg
    P1500036RGp900n2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 143
Thanks.

I think I'll stick to the adults ;) The plumage looked closer to GBBG than HG on gull-research, but the bill looked too small, so I thought I'd upload to check

The body and face(what you can see of them) are brown on your bird,typical of herring gull,though particularly argentatus Herring Gulls sometimes show markedly white heads.
On GBB Gull most(but not all)are very white around the head and very quickly grow to the huge brute size of an adult(although,yet again,there are some small individuals).Time of the year is crucial,as nearly all will be in first winter plumage by now and few if any in juvenile plumage.
Stick with it,its easier than you think,and could be crucial if you're at all interested in finding rarer gulls.

Thanks.

I think I'll stick to the adults ;) The plumage looked closer to GBBG than HG on gull-research, but the bill looked too small, so I thought I'd upload to check

as LL says, stick with it. Since I got the helm guide Gulls of Europe etc, I have improved a lot, as far as gulls go anyway. I don't always get it right, but more often than a couple of years ago. I'm looking foward to the cold weather to observe gulls at the local dump, I've been told that up to 6 types of gull have been seen there in winter.

agree on 1st winter Herring Gull. The line of pearl-like spots on the trailing edge of the outer secondaries and inner primaries are interesting. Is this common?

Am I using the correct usage of the term "pearls" or is this only applicable when referring pale spots separated by the dark outer tips?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back