• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Razor HD grossly overpriced? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Razor HD - grossly overpriced?

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone thinks the Vortex Razor HD line is grossly overpriced?
For the folks that own a pair, do you totally regret purchasing it or feel you
overpaid and wish you has chosen a less expensive binocular??

Just very curious about this. The reason I ask if because the Razor HD REALLY
intrigues me. Its the ONLY binocular in the Vortez line (besides the Talon) that has the small IPD
minimum of 55mm. I have somewhat close set eyes, so I really need a binocular
with a 56mm minimum to work perfectly.

I realize this is a binocular that will last a lifetime and be a one time purchase, but $1200.00??

Last edited:
I think (sort of guessing here) that it's expensive due to its APO optics system
which uses more lenses from what I understand. Minox top models have this APO
system as well. If I'm wrong someone can correct me on that.
I tried out the Razor 8x42 recently for the first time and loved it.
It is a little smaller than I thought which was nice and I loved the handling.
It's really a very nice binocular. If I ever decide to buy a 10x I would like to
buy the new Razor, but yeah it's expensive and I'm not ready to drop that kind of
money for something I don't really need (already have a nice 8x binocular).
The Razor is worth checking out if it's one you've had your eye on.

Last edited:
I've only been able to compare the Razors to the rest of the Vortex lineup, but for me it's right up with the top guys optically. I'm usually inclined to lower powers but the 10x50 I thought was exceptional. Not only was top notch on sharpness but for a relatively light binocular it was unusually steady in my hands. For me better than the 10x42 but the minimum IPD of 57mm may not work for you.

David

I plan on heading to Cabelas in Hamburg PA in the next few weeks to handle and test the Vortex Razor HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta MeoPro HD and Nikon Monarch 7.

Since I have close set eyes, MANY models are eliminated like the Viper HD and many other popular models.

The 4 models mentioned above all meet my requirements of 56mm minimum IPD, with good eye relief.

Have only handled one and looked through it for a few minutes. It was expensive, but I wouldnt call it over priced. It was a solid well built, nice handling binocular that was top of the line.

While I wouldn't say that it's 'grossly" overpriced, I do think the Razor is at least a bit overpriced. But then again, I think that pretty much all Vortex products are a bit overpriced. Not a surprise, given their warranty system. Gotta pay for the new ones they give out so readily when you break one.

I really like my 10x42 3rd gen. Razor - moreso than the Conquest HD and Meopta/Cabela's HD. But if I had to pay full retail, I would not buy a Razor over the other two. Fortunately, I found a used one in near-mint condition and at an excellent price, so to pick it up was a no-brainer.......

PhilR,
You may be right for most of the Vortex line being a bit overpriced. But it seems that the Diamondback that most
feel its actually under priced!

Raptor, yes, the Razor HD's "problem" as you have picked up on, is the company that it keeps ..... ie. the Conquest HD, Meopta HD etc .... If they are going for around ~$900 then yes $1200 puts it about $300 (or 33%) over the competition. They all offer their individual strengths - the Vortex's light weight gives up a little Fov compared to the Conquest fr'instance.
Only you'll be able to decide which mix of performance features appeals to you personally and at what price, by trying them all out in comparison yourself (preferably at the same time).
One of them will speak to you! :cat:

Chosun :gh:

I found the Vortex Razor HD a bit superior in all aspects to the Conquest HD, which is often lauded as rivaling the >$2000 "alphas," so I find it tough to call them overpriced. Vortex also has a top of the line customer service department and warranty policy, which I think has to factor into their slightly higher prices than competing products.

Justin

They all offer their individual strengths - the Vortex's light weight gives up a little Fov compared to the Conquest fr'instance.

That's interesting! Here in America, the Vortex is actually listed as having a wider FOV than the Conquest HD. The 10x Razor is about 5% more FOV than the Zeiss, and the 8x Razor - well -- about four feet more than the Zeiss counterpart.

I would certainly agree that they have their individual strengths, and quirks too. After trying the Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta 10x HD, and the 10x Razor, I found that I liked the Razor's light weight (less than the other two), wide FOV (wider than the other two), smooth focus wheel (smoother than the other two), and exterior color/texture (greener than the Ziess, less green than the Meopta) than the other two. Been happy so far..... :t:

That's interesting! Here in America, the Vortex is actually listed as having a wider FOV than the Conquest HD. The 10x Razor is about 5% more FOV than the Zeiss, and the 8x Razor - well -- about four feet more than the Zeiss counterpart.

I would certainly agree that they have their individual strengths, and quirks too. After trying the Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta 10x HD, and the 10x Razor, I found that I liked the Razor's light weight (less than the other two), wide FOV (wider than the other two), smooth focus wheel (smoother than the other two), and exterior color/texture (greener than the Ziess, less green than the Meopta) than the other two. Been happy so far..... :t:

Phil:

That's interesting, which one do you own, and which have you spent
any time with ?

Jerry

Phil:

That's interesting, which one do you own, and which have you spent
any time with ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

As I mentioned a bit above, I own the 3rd gen. Razor 10x42. I picked it after spending time with the Nikon M7, Cabela's/Meopta HD, Conquest HD and Terra, Leupold McKinley and Mojave (all in the same 10x42).

After trying them out, I immediately ruled out the Cabela's/Meopta due to weight and sticky focus wheel (the slight color cast that you often read about did not bother me at all). I also immediately ruled out the McKinley also due to weight, but it's focus wheel was ok. I ruled out the Mojave and the M7 because as good as they are, they are not in the same class and the Razor/Conq/Meopta.

It came down to the Razor and Conquest HD. I was already familiar with the Conquest HD line as I already have an 8x32. Although I prefer the aesthetics of the Razor over the Conquest, I wasn't going to spend the extra money as the Zeiss is for all practical purposes just as good, for less money. I then found an excellent used Razor at an excellent price, so I snatched it up and have been happy ever since. Besides the aesthetics, I also prefer the focus wheel of the Razor over the Conq. by a slight amount. The Razor's focus wheel is a bit smoother than the 10x42 Conquest that I tried. Not by a lot, but the difference was there in the two examples I tried.

best regards,
PhilR.

For the folks that own a pair, do you totally regret purchasing it or feel you
overpaid and wish you has chosen a less expensive binocular??

No. Expensive? Yes. Grossly overpriced? No.

As you said, it can be a lifetime purchase. My Razors have done multiple saltwater pelagic trips, the heat and humidity of the Upper Amazon Basin, multiple trips and to the jungles of Costa Rica (one in the rainy season where I was poured upon every day), multiple trips to the Ecuadorian cloud forests, several summers of guiding in the Alaskan bush, and have been through a sandstorm in southern Arizona.

They still perform like new, which I think is excellent, and if I ever did have a problem, the excellent customer service of Vortex would take care of it. I don't second-guess my purchase for a minute. I can take my bins to just about environment and not worry about them for a minute.

Since they are APO and can exceed your eyes by a long shot,
you probably have to go by your audition experience rather than someone else's.

I do notice that the 10x50s I have that test out as the sharpest have an extra crispness and
3D effect very far away. That's for 60% of the field. It's beyond my eyes but it does something
for curved edges. I assume a modern APO would extend that to most of the field.

"Worth it" is 100% personal. If you spend 10-20 hours a week in the field
for years, it may be worth more. Or more to the point, if they make your hiking
into a vacation. At least they don't break down or need maintenance like motorcycles or classic cars.

Last edited:
I have tried and tried to fall in love with Vortex products, and I just can't. The viper HD's and I had a "blackout" issue, and the Razor HD's are no better than the Meopta HD, Conquest HD, which can be had for less money, as PhilR said. Vortex does not make one single product that it sells.....I don't like that. Meopta on the other hand, makes everything in house a characteristic that I like.

I plan on heading to Cabelas in Hamburg PA in the next few weeks to handle and test the Vortex Razor HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta MeoPro HD and Nikon Monarch 7.

I would suggest calling ahead to make sure of what they have in stock and on display. I only live about 15 minutes east of there and usually visit once every other month or so. Many times they don't have everything listed in the catalog.

Razor HD at $1000+ is not cheap, but definitely not over-priced. Optically, all three mentioned bins have their own strength. Personally I chose the Razor over the other 2 with similar reasons stated above by other members.

It's better to try them yourself. I would said you won't be regreted buying any one.

I would suggest calling ahead to make sure of what they have in stock and on display. I only live about 15 minutes east of there and usually visit once every other month or so. Many times they don't have everything listed in the catalog.

Good advice!!! In my early days I drove from Denver, Colorado to Sydney, Nebraska only to find there was considerably more in the catalogue than in the store, especially out of season hunting clothing.

Nonetheless, here in Colorado (we just got our own Cabela's recently so no more trips to Sydney) the Razor 10x, Cabela's HD 10x (the Meopta equal), and Nikon Monarch 7 are usually on display when I visit. Never yet have seen the Conquest HD in 8x on display, and the Conquest HD 10x has been present about 60/40.

I've run across some Razor 10x owners that believe there is no better... and for them it is probably so.

If I was looking for a 10x, which I am not, the Cabela's/Meopta HD 10x42 would likely be my choice of the bunch.

CG

Last edited:
CG
Do you remember if they keep the SV, SLC, HT, FL, or any other top of the top glass on display? I have a Cabela's coming locally in the winter, and the local Gander Mountain has only one Alpha in house, but they picked a good one in the EL 10X42 SV.

Bruce

Good advice!!! In my early days I drove from Denver, Colorado to Sydney, Nebraska only to find there was considerably more in the catalogue than in the store, especially out of season hunting clothing.

Nonetheless, here in Colorado (we just got our own Cabela's recently so no more trips to Sydney) the Razor 10x, Cabela's HD 10x (the Meopta equal), and Nikon Monarch 7 are usually on display when I visit. Never yet have seen the Conquest HD in 8x on display, and the Conquest HD 10x has been present about 60/40.

I've run across some Razor 10x owners that believe there is no better... and for them it is probably so.

If I was looking for a 10x, which I am not, the Cabela's/Meopta HD 10x42 would likely be my choice of the bunch.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back